inTank Media Baskets

SW food to FW fish?

Mnesarchus

The first stupid Christmas present has arrived. A far relative got me a can of really fresh smelling marine flakes. Too bad I dont have any marine fish. Can I feed them to my freshwater rainbowfish?

Thanks

Should be good to use. I used marine flakes for clown loached, rainbow, and angelfish before. They loved it.....color was much better in the fish too. You may want to mix it with some FW food though....some SW foods have higher protien levels...

Cameron

Shoudn't be a problem. Lots of fw foods have marine ingredients. For example, we picked up some "betta buffet" flakes, and lookit the ingredient list: salmon, cod, herring, krill, shrimp, squid, salmon eggs... not a fw fish in the bunch. (Naturally, since we bought the stuff for the bettas, they don't like the flakes.)

Unless you're feeding goldfish, I don't think you'll have to worry about the protein content being too high. I feed my rainbows and clown loaches freeze-dried plankton pretty frequently with no problems, and the fd plankton has a protein content of about 60%.

I am keeping my girlfriend's goldfish over break and looking at the ingredients of the FW food...I would never feed this to my sw fish. However, I don't see much wrong with feeding SW food to FW fish.

Archived