Top Shelf Aquatics

WHich power filter should i get??? Ive narrowed it down to 2

Djm9288

We have penguin 125 hob. and ti woks great for our 20h. We keep a poly pad, phosgaurd (cuz we live in fla.) and carbon.

We havent removed the biowheel as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems, for us but I think that the use of a bio wheel is sort of mixed.

I have an Emperor 400 on one of my fw tanks.

There's gonna be a bit of a problem if you remove the biowheel on the Emperor 400: water noise. The way the Emperor works, there are two spray bars that hit the biowheels. Remove the biowheels, and those spray bars make quite a bit of noise as they spray into the filter. Remove the spray bars, and the water still goes to supply the spray bars, and splashes back into the filter. It's surprisingly noisy.

I second the AquaClear. You don't use the filter cartridges anyway! I run 2 AquaClear Mini's on my 10-gallon. One is empty, one has a bag of ChemiPure. The large "filter media" area is great for emergency bags'o'stuff!

If you get one of the Marineland products, get the Penguin 330 (basically a little lower flow than the emperor and without the spray bar). If you want to get it even cheaper... head on over to Wally World. They have Walmart branded stuff thats made by Marineland. I think they have one called the 30-60 or something similar that should be the same as the Penguin w/o the biowheel.

-Ed

I love the aquaclear filters on my freshwater tanks. Nice and cheap to run, and they work like a charm. I paid a very small price and mine is still running well a year later.

IMO, the Emperor is a superior filtration system for FRESHwater because of the bio wheels. For the uses you have outlined, I think you'd be better off with the Aquaclear. Like the previous post said, the Emperor is going to be loud without the wheels because of it's pump design. The only advantage the Emperor has is the media containers that allow you to use whatever media you want. Of course, most if not all of the time, all you're going to want is carbon and the Aquaclear carbon bags are very convenient to use. JMHO.

Logan J

They are reliable, I've never hard a burn out with them. I HATE MARINELAND FILTERS. i've got a penguin on a 20g tank, this thing clogs sooo much.

Aquaclear are great, NO CARTRIDGE IS THE IDEA. you can CUSTOMIZE WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO.

stupid :P

Originally posted by loganj

IMO, the Emperor is a superior filtration system for FRESHwater because of the bio wheels.  For the uses you have outlined, I think you'd be better off with the Aquaclear.  Like the previous post said, the Emperor is going to be loud without the wheels because of it's pump design.  The only advantage the Emperor has is the media containers that allow you to use whatever media you want.  Of course, most if not all of the time, all you're going to want is carbon and the Aquaclear carbon bags are very convenient to use.  JMHO.

Logan J

FYI, I would NOT run the AquaClear carbon! Throw that out and get yourself a good reef carbon. There is a HUGE difference in carbons! Cheaper carbons tend to be high in phosphate and other undesireables. You can get a tub'o'carbon for $10 and a small filter bag for $2.

I don't see why one bad experience you had would make you want to disregard every other person's good experience. You did, after all, put "other" in your poll. AC filters are cheap, not too noisy and, in my experience, reliable. While I haven't started saltwater yet, I have done freshwater for the better part of five years (nine if you count my stumbling around in the dark newbie years), and my vote would go with the AC as well. It makes far less noise than my Emperor and, as already mentioned, once you take out the wheels, the Emperor is going to be REALLY noisy. Atleast that's my opinion..

I said, NO AQUACLEARS!!!!!!!

Actually you said "I HATE AQUACLEAR!!!!!!"

Followed by "i had one on my 10g, and i just didt like it, i like the filters u insert a cartirdge in, JMO. its personal preferance"

As was already mentioned by luv2jeep, not all carbon is the created equal. Are you willing to risk introducing phosphates into your system by using those cheap cartridges because your resistant to change? On my system I'll run an empty Aquaclear and put good carbon in it when I need it.

But hey it's your set up. Maybe you can just keep asking until you get the answer you want to hear, or maybe not.

I'm not saying Aquaclear is the only way to go but it's a damn good way.

Good luck with whatever you choose Bro.

Salim

well...go with marineland.....or the bigger one from walmart...i dont like aquaclears either...i dont really have a specific reason but they bother me. but i agree about the emperer not being a good chouice. if you dont like what you hear though...dont ask for suggestions.

Well, I said the Aquaclear carbon bags were convenient...not that they were the best way to go. Sorry if that was misleading. As far as the Marineland filters go, the Penguins and Emperors are totally different. I have never had any trouble from an Emperor. I have two that have been running trouble free for over 4 years. I also had a Penguin 125 once...damn thing was the worst filter I ever saw...stayed messed up. But, like the man said, it's your system and you're free to run whatever you want. Let us know how it turns out...the one you go with might be so good we'll all want one :)

Logan J

Archived