Pod Your Reef

Advice on my setup

wombat

Hi all. Thanks to a generous reefer I helped out, and because I have lots of extra equipment and overgrowing corals, I'm going to build an 8 gallon reef. It's an 8g eclipse acrylic. My plan was to drill a hole in the back and bulkhead it to a DIY refugium I will build from acrylic, or I could just glue it to the back permanently and seal with silicone. Anyway, I plan on putting in some SD sand mixed with some sand from my existing fuge, some excess LR, xenia, anthelia, yellow and green polyps, and if those work out, a small BTA with an anemone crab. Would a firefish be too much?? These are all critters I have right now (except for the crab), so I'm confident I know their requirements.

My questions are about lighting and flow: I have both a Hagen 402 and a Mag 2 sitting around, is this too much flow?? For lighting I can use the existing eclipse lights (probably just standard fluorescent) or a LOA 65W PC bulb. Will this be too much heat?? I may build a little topoff also, but I'm worried about a cute little desktop tank turning into an ugly mess with equipment everywhere. Thanks for any advice or help you can offer... (edit: I just noticed pikelet's avatar is wombat lover, with a taz wolf (thylacine??) pic, don't eat me for breakfast!!!)

SK8Reef came out ot the woodwork to say:

I think its time for somebody to take a valium......  

Its only reefing dude. ;)

Thanks d00d. Try to keep that in mind when FIRST POST posting here. :

not a good way to introduce yerself.

Nice pic ya sent me of yerself SK8Reef.

Here I'll share:

:happy:

eh well sum innteresting info on the eclipse bulbs- they are T5 lights which mean they put out alotta light, but even then considering they are max 9 inches u would still wanna get sumthing like a few 13 watt retros or perhaps a 32 watt smartlite which you can find online for 50 odd dollars. with the soft corals u mentioned i would get the 32 watt. oh and the anenome i would add another 13 watt onto it at least, if not two. read the article on anenomes on this site its very informative, and its well worth the read. by the way a tip to the newbie. do a search before you ask questions on this site.... belive me it helps.

nishant

nishant,

T5's don't necessarily mean vho though. unless i was friggin ripped off on my eclipse! :

T5's usually come in NO here in the US (currently). i've even seen a small single T5 running on batteries (around 8" or so) at home depot. it's one of those portable under cabinent lights. it's NO and probably 2600K (probably the equivalent light output of my next batch of birthday candles X) ).

the eclipse six's light is probably enough (with the correct spectrum bulb) to sustain shrooms imo. :|

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone or sound like a newbie.

PS: yer welcome
I wish I knew what you were talking about so I could reply.

I think I'll go with the 65W bulb, just wanted to know if it was too much heatwise for an 8 gallon...

What kind of flow rates (per tank volume) do you guys usually have on tanks of this size??

Thanks for the help, Matt

the anemone I would add another 13 watts at least
I keep my existing rose BTAs under MHs, but I've seen them do very well under low intensity (NO fluorescent) light. Depends on whether the particular anemone is from deep or shallow water.

yea i guess so if you wanna take the chance i mean what if its not a deepwater anenome and its a shallow water? well im sure you could probably find out if you took the trouble. btw, tiny reef , yea i know they arent the strongest things in the world just found it interesting that they were T5s are u sure bout their colour? ive heard they are daylight.... oh well.

nishant

i'm not sure what the stock bulb on the eclipse currently is (i'm assuming you're talking about that) but back when it first came out i had to switch to hagen's marine glo(?). memory's not that good, sorry. X) but it was much better after the switch.

the home depot one was a 'soft white' so i gotta think that's :rolleyes:

Archived