ReefCleaners.org

Aquavase 2.5 Wave

Brian da lion

Brian da lion

Hey all, I recently set up my new pico, an aquavase wave tank. For lightingi have a satellite 1x18w fixture, and for filteration and water movement, I have an aquaclear mini. The future inhabitants of this tank will be 4 sexy shrimp, and maybe some anemone crabs. The coral will probably be mostly gsp, but with a good number of shrooms, zoos, and the like.

As far as I know,(correct me if I'm wrong), I am the first person on the site to set up one of these tanks. I thing the reason that people are reluctant to get one is the problem with stuff fitting on. I did not have any problems, as the ac mini was big enough to hang on the curve on the left side of the tank, and then the fixture sits neatly on top. I also found a flat heater that fit inside the ac mini, and after a little ghetto DIY with some grill matches and a kitchen knife, I had a nice little slot in the top for the wire to come out.

If anyone else has one of these tanks, please reply, and post pics. I would like to hear about these and get a nice thread going, so that an awesome tank can get the respect and awe that it deserves!

I have seen one setup before, don't have a link. I could probably find one, they look awesome. I also like the melody (I think it's the one i'm thinking of.)

I actually have an aquavase rythym pico, I really like how the tank looks and it will probably end up on my desk at work once I figure out how to hang the lighting fixture. I had sexy shrimp in there but all they did was pick at my shrooms and zoos, so they are either being traded or fed to the mantis.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Wave tank by Red Sea (Deco-Art), setup now for about 3 or 4 months and doing just fine.........I used the standard NANO hob filter, fit in 2, 13 watt 50/50 PC Aqua vase lamps, as well as a 7 watt now running a 9 watt all actinic bulb, and a 3/4 watt Coralife lunar light. Have a few small blue leg hermits, a couple of ceriths some brittle stars and one Neon Goby........The biggest thing that sucks on these wave tanks is where the one end of the corner (front right) more or less comes into a V shape, it creates a dead area, but the bowed portion sure does make those tiny frags look large.......I like mine, and have 8 more that are unused........I bought a heap of them off a dealer (total of 10) that he was clearance pricing em out the door for $8.00 each which included a filter...I also bought all his 13 and 7 watt lights and bulbs which he had in daylight, full actinic and also 50/50 for each sized light assembly. I think the best bang for the buck in that sized tank catagory is the Ocean Free Betta tanks sold at Petco which is a small 1 or 1 1/2 gal or so all glass tank with curved front corners and has about the same foot print as the Wave tank does.......on sale for about $6.00 a piece w/NANO filter.

I have a Wave tank by Red Sea (Deco-Art), setup now for about 3 or 4 months and doing just fine.........I used the standard NANO hob filter, fit in 2, 13 watt 50/50 PC Aqua vase lamps, as well as a 7 watt now running a 9 watt all actinic bulb, and a 3/4 watt Coralife lunar light. Have a few small blue leg hermits, a couple of ceriths some brittle stars and one Neon Goby........The biggest thing that sucks on these wave tanks is where the one end of the corner (front right) more or less comes into a V shape, it creates a dead area, but the bowed portion sure does make those tiny frags look large.......I like mine, and have 8 more that are unused........I bought a heap of them off a dealer (total of 10) that he was clearance pricing em out the door for $8.00 each which included a filter...I also bought all his 13 and 7 watt lights and bulbs which he had in daylight, full actinic and also 50/50 for each sized light assembly. I think the best bang for the buck in that sized tank catagory is the Ocean Free Betta tanks sold at Petco which is a small 1 or 1 1/2 gal or so all glass tank with curved front corners and has about the same foot print as the Wave tank does.......on sale for about $6.00 a piece w/NANO filter.

Here is a pic of the custom acrylic hood. In this image only one 13 watt light has been fit. It has since had the shades on the lights removed and a mirrowed piece of acrylic fit inside to make a reflector and a total of 2 13 watt and one 9 watt PC lights installed. It also has a 3" muffin fan on a speed control, and the knob you see on the top right of the hood at the back portion is a dimmer for the lunar lights. Acrylic is dark grey smoke color, formed into the same wave shape as the tank. It sets on a clear piece of acrylic for a cover..and I have since covered the acrylic smoke covered material with scotch cal vynil to eliminate any glare in the room and make it so its not transparent......Runs a pretty constant 79.7 to 80 deg with fan set to 4 volts.......Super quiet fan even when run at 12 volts

Cool tank. I have the satekkite 18w light, an i have it sitting on top of the tank. It hangs a little bit over the front left corner, but it's really not that noticable. Also, an aquaclear mini is perfect for this tank, the filter fits right over the left curve. I'll try to get a pic up, but I really can't figure out how to get pictures on.

Archived