Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

negative feedback from LFS on 6gal cube

diverrk

well i went to my LFS today to look at some coral, peppermint shrimp, snails etc...

When I told the girl I have a 6gal nanocube, she said that's so small I wouldn't be able to put much in it. I told her I beg to differ, I mentioned this site and all the awesome tanks here that are 6gal or smaller . She said "Ask them how long the tanks stay up" ! I figure she was implying that either they don't last long or people just give up because of high maintenance.

I spent some bucks so far on my 6g and upgrades I don't have to mention the cost, so am I in for a dissapointment ??

I was also told to wait on adding any snails till the tank develops some algae. So today I added a peppermint shrimp, my first addition to the tank!

Originally posted by supernip

she's right. tank's prolly gonna crack on ya. Plus most people give up on the cube and move on.

Well, that's helpfull & I doubt most people "give up" on the cube.

diverk,

Enjoy your Cube. The majority of problems were with the 24's not the 6's (My 24g DX is doing just fine, thank you & I have no plans to "move on"). Sometimes Pico tanks (which is what a 6g really is) do require more care, but I think it really depends on what you have in it. I have a 2.5g Mini Bow that is probably easier to take care of than my 24g Cube. All because of the level of stocking and what I stock. My 2.5 has been up for just over 2 months and I can tell you it will be up for a long time. Here is a link to it ----> My 2.5 thread.

I'd go ahead and get a few snails as part of a clean-up crew. Just be sure to acclimate them well.

there are a lot of people who think smaller tanks are a no-no, i could debate all day with a guy at work who says it is impossible to keep a small tank stable and no one should have a reef under like 100 gallons. i choose to ignore his comments because i know it is possible.

Well seems to be mixed feelings out there ! I'm going to just have to take it slow and see how things go. I picked up a few frags today ,Hammer, zoo's, star's . Pics to come later tonight !

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

yea nano's only last for 6 months and either the tank cracks or everything dies, Its just a waste of money, its not fare to the corals either, keeping them in such a small tank after they come from the ocean...LOL.

Its all just a conflict of interest, if she can get u to go bigger, she can sell you a lot more coral.

Originally posted by NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

yea nano's only last for 6 months and either the tank cracks or everything dies, Its just a waste of money, its not fare to the corals either, keeping them in such a small tank after they come from the ocean...LOL.

Its all just a conflict of interest, if she can get u to go bigger, she can sell you a lot more coral.

Ok do I sense a little sarcasm in that statement :| . Hopefully your not serious !

Archived