ReefCleaners.org

Newbies Tank

hicksonj

Here is my very basic tank. Its only be up for 1.5 months. It houses 2 astreas, 2 blue legged hermits, and a small colony of orange polys. The small crew has kept the algea kabloom at bay relatively well, and the polyps seem pretty happy. I'm probably going to be flamed for the eclipse hood, but shoehorned a 32X2PC retrofit under it. The rock seems really small, but it is really porous and weighs over 11lbs!

Tank.jpg

looks like it will be very nice once it fills out a bit or you fill it up more which ever comes first. HAHA

I also have an eclipse hood. Do you have any pics of the retro ??

Have you had any problems due to heat with the 2x32pc's

TIA.

leslr.

The lights were melting the clear plastic light cover and the backing, so I purchased a piece of reflective aluminum, cut it to the size of the light lid, drilled 8 vent holes in the eclipse plastic light lid, attached the lights to the reflector, and the reflector to the lid. The ballast is on the back. The reflector acts like a heat sink that vents the heat out the holes in the lid. The lights really don’t get much moisture or salt-krep on them and there is no heat increase in the water when the lights are on. Good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

I added a great branching hammer/anchor, a finger leather, and a happly little clown. Please don't laugh at my algea issues :( Here are some pics:

hammer.jpg

fingerleather.jpg

Looks good. I have 3 eclipse's currently (2-12's &1-3 for my daughter on christmas) I personally love them. The only problem I have with them is when the salt creep gets on the plastic, it is a pain in the butt to remove from the textured black. Just clean it off as soon as you see it and you should have no problem. Good luck.

looks nice. the algea issue, every reefer gets at one piont of another. like for example i've never hade any aglea issues at all in the 7 months this tank has been set up for.

for your algae issue, how about a couple of emerald's? or maybe a turbo or two? These have helped me when I had my problem, in my ten gallon seahorse tank I was having a hair algae problem, so I bought an emerald, within to days, it was gone. It wasn't as big of a problem as yours, so a couple would do the trick. Turbos would also be a good idea, but after they eat it all, they might die as there seems to be a lack of food besides that.

Brandon

Archived