SaltCritters.com

Macroalgae ID

BytheSea

Hello, everyone... I'm new, so this is my first post.

I picked up this rock last week at my LFS in the rescue coral tank. I was told it had a couple of types of macroalgae on it. Can anyone Id these. ???

First pic is on day one in my tank...

newrockdayone.jpg

Second pic is after one week in my tank...

1weeksept305.jpg

It's Caulerpa, can't remember exact species name. Prolifera, maybe? What size are the leaves?

This is not good news guys :o , but you hit the nail on the head.

I did a research on it and it's deffinatly what I have. It is growing like an weed, I guess that is way it's considered evasive. I hate to throw it away, I just got it. I will keep it in the tank awhile to see what happens. If need be I will keep it trimmed back.

I know, you've warned me. I only have myself to blame if this stuff gets out of hand.

Thanks for the replies and advice ;)

TH eonly way it will get out of hand is if you place it on your reef.

Keep it on the sand bed on that small rock and let it grow off into the sand bed. When it gets to be a nuisance or to close to your reef simply pull it up from the sand, shake off the substrate from the roots and break it off.

I have loads of it. VERY good at exporting bad nutrients too, if you can controll it.

If he has little purple coraline algae growth in his tank, won't that macro algae suck all the nutrients out? Thus his rocks will never turn a nice shade of purple?

Originally posted by Reef_Mad_Man

Keep it on the sand bed on that small rock and let it grow off into the sand bed. When it gets to be a nuisance or to close to your reef simply pull it up from the sand, shake off the substrate from the roots and break it off.

I have loads of it. VERY good at exporting bad nutrients too, if you can controll it.

Thanks, I will do that. I have it on the top of my live rock now, and have notice it starting to wrap around my adjoining rocks.

Originally posted by Reef_Mad_Man

I agree completely, keep it away from anything you do not want it to attach to, as with any attaching organism. It works great, looks good (when under control) and looks natural. Some lfs will take it on trade also.

• 2 weeks later...

To me it looks more like Caulerpa brachypus, Mini caulerpa. The blades are closer together, more numerous, and usualy stay <3" in length. It can be an invasive species if not controlled.

Sparkling_Surfer, yes what you have is C. prolifera.

Archived