inTank Media Baskets

Question for Sea Slug Owners

Catspa

anyone know if a hermit crab would eat one? or emerald, or pistol?

I bough a Lettus (sp?) sea slug last week, he was doing fine for a couple of days, then one moment he's on a rock doing his thing, i come back an hour later, and he's never been seen since. I'm Quite certain that he's gone, (no tell tail evidence of his grazing or anything). anyway, ph are screened, so i'm thinking one of my zebra hermit ate him (my zebras are large, and very aggresive - seen then go after my scooter and he's 3" long)

So what you think?

I put in a lettuce slug that had been slightly injured in shipping. My nassarius snails went right for it. My scarlet reef hermits and blue leg hermits never even showed an interest in it.

The nassarius snails were able to devour a substantial portion of it very quickly.

snails really? wouldn't have thought of that. I've only got turbos and Astreas. Don't think there the culprit here.

Must have been a crab (also have a sally light foot). I think it was one of my zebras.

I'm about to put another slug in (cost me $25) feeding the tank it starting to get expensive X)

Anyone else?

My Lettuce Nudi, affectionately known as Sluggo, has almost doubled in size and has chowed down on my hair algae. The algae was real bad but is only in a couple of spots now and, rather than yank it out, I leave it for the slug. I have come home from work a couple of times, and done the morning tank check a few times, and found the slug floating on the surface. I thought he was dead every time but once I pulled it out it started sliming across my hand so I put it right back into a patch of fur.

nass snails, trochus, scarlet and blue hermits, neon dottyback, perc clown, purple lobster and there might be a sally lightfoot. Also found out I have a crab that looks like an emerald only it eats regular algae and won't touch my valonia.

If I had to bet on anything, I'd guess it was the neon dottyback, because most of 'em are meaner 'n snot. I actually had a small lettuce slug in a handful of caulerpa algae once that my lawnmower blenny got. It was the only time I'd ever seen him get out of hand like that. I'd think twice about putting another $25 in the tank that quickly, though. I might do a little more research as to what is actually IN your tank. You might end up finding the answer to your problem there.

my neon dottyback was once mean but has since mellowed. More importantly, my slug never died. He was asking what was in my tank so that maybe he could figure out what snagged his slug.

One of my sea bunnies is missing one of it's nose growths. I believe that the pistols are to blame for mine, as the mantis and other crabs are gone. Maybe you should make sure that you're adequately feeding the behind-the-scenes crew in your tank. Otherwise they will prey upon the slower moving dudes

Thanks for clearing that up.

I've aready put the new slug in, and he's already gone to work, and nothing seems to be giving him any attention, so i'm pretty sure it wasn't any of the fish.

So, anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by Crakeur

once I pulled it out it started sliming across my hand so I put it right back into a patch of fur.

Wow, I hate when that happens. So embarassing.

Nassarius are quick to finish off anything that is showing signs of distress. If you have them in your tank, they would be my #1 suspect. Bumblebees can be pretty impatient too.

Originally posted by hhasty79

Wow, I hate when that happens. So embarassing.

I can't believe I posted that unintentionally. My mind is clearly gutter driven all by it's self.

Originally posted by Crakeur

I can't believe I posted that unintentionally.  My mind is clearly gutter driven all by it's self.

At least you're not alone. After all I was the one who read it that way :blush:

(A dirty mind is a joy forever....:P )

Archived