ReefCleaners.org

My Improved 2.5 Pico with DIY fuge!

Jigsaw

Hey guys, I am sorta new here (as a member, I look for advice here all the time) and I have to ask what you think of my Pico! I just did a DIY Fuge I am proud of, I'd buy a good one except I'm a poor teenager :D (16). Here I am to show you mainly the fuge part, I made it tonight, took like an hour. I used a whisper filter (for use up to 10 gallons) and used that for my intake, I used plyers and ripped off the side wall of the filter and put the intake part to the side. Some water comes out of the hole I put in it, but the fuge catches it (read on). I had a free little kritter keeper thing that I got for free as a coupon at Petco. Then I put some LS, LR rubble and Chaeto from my 10 gallon and filled it up with my 2.5 tank water. I then proceeded to make a siphon with a cut up tubing used for some old freshwater tank kit and made it so the water would quietly reenter into the fuge, making it an ongoing cycle. In case of a power outage, I can just kill the siphon, even if Im asleep (:*() It won't spill too much water because its never filled to the tip top and the siphon part in the 2.5 is close up top so it won't spill too much ??? . Here are some pics for you guys to see, any comments are welcome!

Tank Specs:

2.5 Gallon

40 Watts, mix of PC lighting

1 lb of live rock (gonna get more maybe tomorrow)

Inhabitants:

Tulip Anemone (my friend found it in NC and is keeping it till he gets it from my house lol)

5 Vibex Snails

2 hermit crabs (one from NC and one red leg hermit)

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2779/im...im0006652yn.jpg

here's some closeups of the fuge itself, I apologize the photographer is not the best :P

http://www.angelfire.com/ak6/chooselove/index.html

Bah, uploading takes so long 0_o, I'll post more in like 5 minutes

Originally posted by Surfzup2k4

and now that I look at the fuge, you may want to rethink it dude.  it seems like a recipe for disaster

i agree. a huge mess waiting to spill all over your laptop

HA I have proved you all wrong, it works like a charm! its quite perfect actually, maybe I am just lucky? Its been working for 2 weeks so far and the water is super clear and its never looked better so naaaaaa :P

Originally posted by Jigsaw

HA I have proved you all wrong, it works like a charm!  its quite perfect actually, maybe I am just lucky?  Its been working for 2 weeks so far and the water is super clear and its never looked better so naaaaaa :P

if it's never looked better, I definetly want to see when it looked worse. Yeah I see how it works like a charm, I bet that water on the desk and running down the tank is supposed to be there. Definetly like the tank:rolleyes:

well I figured out that it wasn't the fuge that was leaking, it was the tank, the bottom had a crack in it for some reason, its leaked before but it was never much, so I got a new 1 gallon cube and its working perfectly now, no water on the desk or anything. levels are stable and have never been better. And I got rid of the airstone as well.

You all are a bunch of idiots, look at the bigger picture. This guy didn't spend 567870948 dollars on a fuge, instead he made one out of what he had around the house. Come on, give him some credit.

It is easier to destroy than to create, you all should know that! Why tear down a fellow reef-keeper just because his setup isn't as sophisticated as your own.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty look before a fall." -Proverbs 16:18

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't live with constructive criticism, then STFU. We were simply pointing out that he is treading on thin ice. I wouldn't trust that set up at all. Im sorry, but its my opinion. If you look, that HOB is already leaking a ton where the pump connects to the main body if the filter. One small thing could somehow throw that stream of water off and before you know it, you have a flooded desk and alot of water missing from your tank. Why does everybody have to take things so personally these days? Christ. Quit whining.

Originally posted by Surfzup2k4

If you can't live with constructive criticism, then STFU.  We were simply pointing out that he is treading on thin ice.  I wouldn't trust that set up at all.  Im sorry, but its my opinion.  If you look, that HOB is already leaking a ton where the pump connects to the main body if the filter.  One small thing could somehow throw that stream of water off and before you know it, you have a flooded desk and alot of water missing from your tank.  Why does everybody have to take things so personally these days? Christ.  Quit whining.

Hey I was a newb once too, but I was just giving constructive criticism.
"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty look before a fall." -Proverbs 16:18
" I don't giveth a ***eth about religion, So goeth and quote something realeth, kind of like quoting a comic booketh" -Confusious 187:16

I know, my post was directed at "freakin Tiger" and "nd12nc"

I wasn't even directing the post at the poster of the thread, just the people who chimed in about me somehow attacking him.

if it's never looked better, I definetly want to see when it looked worse. Yeah I see how it works like a charm, I bet that water on the desk and running down the tank is supposed to be there.

Yea that sounds like constructive criticism ???...NOT. That was a pretty rude comment if u ask me.

Originally posted by nd12nc

Yea that sounds like constructive criticism ???...NOT. That was a pretty rude comment if u ask me.

well maybe you should clarify who you are refering to with your "bunch of idiots" talk

Archived