Coral Vue Hydros

Wanted: Macro Algae (except chaeto and caulerpa)

EagleEyes

I am looking for macro algae (wanted specifically alive) of any type except the two listed in the title. Im in Arizona so shipping may be a problem but if your interested in SELLING, post here please, and thanks! Eagle Eyes

So what else is there? ;) Seriously...What kinds are you looking for? There's the red kelp that can be grapey, feathery, or stickly, and then there's the rootless, unicellular Ulva....

Originally posted by Caesar777

So what else is there? ;)

Thats true. It really limits your choices. You can get Halemedia, or shaving brush(not sure of scientific name).

why cant Sara get Halemedia or shaving brush???...i was thinking some for my new 7g. minibow..getting soon w/ 2 PC ...will that be ok for those or is it just that they go sexual on you are whatever???

i have never heard of gracelaria, what is it? i was actually about to get a couple shaving brushes, but college expenses postponed it. but ironically i went to a dealer and found a small peice of excellently cultured live rock with some c. serrulata on it. so have that but would like other stuff too. There is soo many other types of macro algae that its not a matter of chosing but HOW to get it. apparently its kind of out of season right now.

i was actually thinking of something like Dictyota or actually that halimeda has a really nice green color to it. ( im looking for color and safety i.e. non sexual)

Red grape kelp is awesome. The red feather kelp is cool, but I've never seen it do anything but shrink away into nothingness in reef tanks. Grape, on the other hand--not caulerpa--grows fast, but not too fast, doesn't make crazy holdfasts, doesn't go sexual, and has GREAT color. Not that I have any to sell (unless you wanna buy a single strand, doubt it!)... I just really like the stuff.

Wow it sounds cool do you have a pic of it? i have only heard of that green grape caulerpa. The caulerpa serrulata is doing well! all i need is some more macro then i can get some snails because the micro is coming. i had it for a while where it wasnt doing anything then it spiked for some reason and now.. i guess ill stock it, if i have to.. lol

It's not caulerpa at all, but some other kind of macro that doesn't go sexual. Sorry for the delay in response...don't normally peruse this section more than just sporadically. I'll try to find a pic, but look up "red grape kelp".

Okay, fine! :P

Someone's sh**ty photo:

307my_reef_tank_002-med.jpg

Another type of "red bubble", not the one I have, and this actually attaches to rocks by even a single bubble. Still nice, but a softy, not crispy-ish like the one above. According to Anthony Calfo, it's probably a Botryocladia sp.

red_alg_id_wwm_1.jpg

That does look like something valuable to have. it appears to be even tempered, though i have no clue how long it has been in that aquarium. Thanks though, i recently got some red algae. nothing special. but i am going to be sending for some other stuff soon.

Archived