Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Refugium kit

RVMcCarthy

I have a CPR hang on refugium for my 20gal long. It's sweet, and I am really pleased with it so far. I am wanting to improve it though as all I've got is some macro in it. I have seen a lot of kits on the net but they are all way too large (mine is 16" or so long, maybe 2 or 3 gallons). Was wondering if anyone could provide a simple link or give an idea how to stock it.

I vote for aragonite. I've gotten live sand from systems that had mud refugiums, and I found that the mud pretty well permeated the sand. The disturbed sand ended up being covered by a layer of mud, which could be removed only via filtration through dense filter felt, which had to be rinsed many times. Some of the stuff was almost as bad as unwashed Flourite, if you're familiar w/ the fw planted tank substrate.

I just installed said CPR AquaFuge (the 18" model) on my tank. I ordered about 3 lbs. of live sand and 5 lbs. of live rock - it's been curing for four weeks now. I threw it in the fuge last night, and it seems to be full-o-pods.

I'm not so sure about the "Miracle Mud" type products. The stuff is WAY overpriced, and IMO, it's just a selling scam like "cured live rock" & "titanium golf irons". Just my opinion.

Oh, and if your CPR AquaFuge came with a Rio 400 pump, get some earplugs - you'll need 'em.

It has the Rio 400, and I don't hear a thing except the low hum/whirr of my two lighting fans. Oh and some slight bubbling sounds from my skimmer. :) Overall my system is very quiet.

I don't think I'll put any live rock into my 'fuge. I will just stick some aragonite sand (fine) that I have leftover from stocking my tank. I'm gonna check my LFS to see if they have any copepods or anything for sale to start the fuge out with.

How deep is your substate in the 'fuge? I have the 18" model as well. A bit nervous hanging both it and the skimmer on the back of my tank. I think I will move the skimmer over to the right side of the tank to ease up on the back.

*edit*

durhh just realize with my new lighting I can't hang the skimmer on the side. Nowhere for the intake and return tubes. :(

Good that your pump is quiet - mine must be a little whacked...really noisy.

I didn't hang my AquaFuge on my 10-gallon - was afraid it wouldn't hold it, so I build a custom stand for the fuge directly behind the tank. Works well.

My sand bed in the fuge is about one inch.

Very cool. :) there is nowhere to rest the fuge for me behind my tank, as it sits at my desk right next to my comp. :) I spend more time watching my tank than I do anything else I believe. I can't wait till the corraline really gets a strong hold! Just finished with the lime green phase of my algae bloom. I should be stocking my refugium this weekend after I do some drilling/cutting to make sure it doesn't overflow onto my comp or carpet!

I have a 10 gal with a DIY fuge on it...much like a CPR fuge. Mine is 4.5" x 11.5" x 20". It hangs on the back of the tank and I have had no problems. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the fuge and skimmer hanging on your tank.

Logan J

McCarthy-

If you decide to order the macro algae from inland aquatics just ask for a single order of grape caulerpa $8.00 and if you want another like feather $10.00, but the single order of grape alone will fill that fug, youll see!! Besides over time grape seems to snuff out the others, it just grows too fast.

Call them and place the order dont use the e-mail. When I called the guy told me the owner handles all the online stuff and it could be a week before he gets back to you. I didnt catch the guys name but he was really helpful:happy:

good luck! :happy:

McCarthy-

Dont order half a fauna kit, just get the whole thing. Its not like they have really bad die off. Besides after a few months or so there will be the same amount in the fug if you had just ordered the whole package anyway. Would you go to a burger joint order the biggest burger but only ask for half of it, and still pay the same amount? I dont mean to insult anyone but it just doesnt make sense to me ??? Its not like shipping is going to cost any less either.

Anyway if you only want one type of critter you can order them separately as well

P.S. I ordered a fauna kit for my 8g fug so dont think there wont be enough space for them or anything

Archived