Top Shelf Aquatics

What size return pump?

SaltwaterKid

I'm putting together a 20g tall nano tank, if you can call a 20g that. I'm going to have a 5g bucket underneath it for sump purposes. What size return pump do you think i'd need to create enough flow inside my tank without having to install another powerhead inside the tank? I was thinking either a Mag 3 or 5 would be more than enough. I don't plan on keeping any SPS corals in this tank. Only basic corals like mushrooms, polyps, and leathers maybe.

This was my setup. I had a 20 gallon with homemade built in overflow (1" bulkhead drain) and a homemade rubbermaid sump. I used a Rio 2500 pump for a return pump and that also served as the tanks sole source of circulation. I think a Mag5 would do it for you as a max size pump but it would depend on what your going to use for an overflow setup. How are you going to do that? Hangon overflow, built in, etc....some will have max flow rates so you'll need to take that into consideration for an ideal turnover rate. Here is a link to my 20 gallon reef with some pucs so you may pick up some ideas.....

http://www.californiareefs.com/tank20reef.htm

Cameron

I drilled a 1" bulkhead for the output to the sump and a 3/4" bulkhead for the return. I guess i need to see how strong the Rio 2500 is vs the Mag series. Thanks for the info and the web link.

the mag's are better imo. check their head chart versus what you have planned to calculate your end gph. marine depot has it on their site.

ok im going to do this setup and i have a mag 5 pump for my return...should i drill a whole big enough for a 1" bulkehead or a 3/4"?

by the way sorry for taking post space but i thought it would be nice to save space on the message board

Most 3/4" and 1" bulkheads have the same outside diameter....only the inside bore is different. Don't waste your time on a 3/4" bulkhead....get a 1".....you'll hate your drain flow capabilities if you go 3/4".

Cameron

Archived