Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just set up my 12g DX, have some questions

lmiller

Hi! Today I picked up about fifteen pounds of liverock for my tank. I put that and the sand in and am now letting it cycle. I have a couple of questions-

#1- When the tank is cycling, how often should I check for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels?

#2- What should be in the rear compartments while the tank is cycling? While at the LFS, I picked up some Chemi-Pure and Purigen, but did not put them in the tank because I figure they would cut down on nitrate levels, prolonging the cycling. So now I have two of the sponges in the first compartment to pull out any debris, and some live rock rubble in the second compartment. Should I put the Purigen or Chemi-Pure in or take anything out?

#3- Which side of the magnetic cleaner thing goes on the inside of the tank? The soft part, or the hard velcroy part (I know, I know, I should probably be able to figure this one out myself, but I don't want to leave my tank scratched)?

#4- My tank is running about 84.5 degrees, is that ok just for cycling? The room is usually air conditioned but I had to take the AC out because the house is being painted, so the room is a lot warmer than normal. It will be back in within a week I hope so the temps in the tank should go down well before any livestock is introduced.

I think that's all for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions soon. Thanks in advance!

-Lucas

Originally posted by lmiller

Hi!  Today I picked up about fifteen pounds of liverock for my tank.  I put that and the sand in and am now letting it cycle.  I have a couple of questions-

#1-  When the tank is cycling, how often should I check for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels?  

#2-  What should be in the rear compartments while the tank is cycling?  While at the LFS, I picked up some Chemi-Pure and Purigen, but did not put them in the tank because I figure they would cut down on nitrate levels, prolonging the cycling.  So now I have two of the sponges in the first compartment to pull out any debris, and some live rock rubble in the second compartment.  Should I put the Purigen or Chemi-Pure in or take anything out?  

#3-  Which side of the magnetic cleaner thing goes on the inside of the tank?  The soft part, or the hard velcroy part (I know, I know, I should probably be able to figure this one out myself, but I don't want to leave my tank scratched)?  

#4-  My tank is running about 84.5 degrees, is that ok just for cycling?  The room is usually air conditioned but I had to take the AC out because the house is being painted, so the room is a lot warmer than normal.  It will be back in within a week I hope so the temps in the tank should go down well before any livestock is introduced.  

I think that's all for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions soon.  Thanks in advance!

-Lucas

1~ check your parameters like once a week.

2~ I would put nothing but LR (live rock) back there while its cycling.

3~ use the velcro side of the magnet on the inside of the tank. I can assure you, you will not scratch the glass.

4~ dont worry about the temp. As long as you dont have any livestock in the tank, just leave it be.

Best thing to do is test water once a week, and keep the glass clean :) Good Luck

Archived