Top Shelf Aquatics

guppy's pico tank

guppy

Well I have been into planted tanks mostly, so this is the first attempt on a saltwater reef tank. I understand how everything works since my father had a saltwater tank for quite a while.

Red Sea Deco Art Tank

7 watt PC

Nano Filter

2 lbs Live Barbados Sand

1 1/2 lbs Live Rock

This is Day 1

IMG_0824.JPG

I will try and update weekly and feel free to leave comments and any suggestions. I was wondering what are some good "Noobie" Coarls that would work in this tank. Also what should I be dosing?

Thanks for looking

Nice start! I'd remove say, 1/2 the sand and bring up the water level. Be sure to change water every week. In fact, I'd do 2 small changes each week.

Looking forward to more pics.

i dose KENT products:

Iodine

Concentraded Calcium

Molybedium and Stontium (spelling)

and Micro Vert for a bivalve and the many feather dusters that all came with my Live Rock..i havnt used this product very long and i cant garuntee if it works good

I do have another piece of live rock but when I added in at first the tank had an odd look to it. The rock seemed to take up too much of the tank space. It took me a while to finally arrange the two other pieces to how I wanted them. How long do I wait till I can add like a hermit crab or something like that?

YES GUPPY... IF YOU DIDN'T HEAR DROWNING, OR THE OTHERS LOSE HALF OF THE SAND YOU GOT IN THERE!!!!!

j/k

anyways, just to let you know.. if you still got that live rock.. you can take a hammer and a chisel and easily break it into pieces that will suit your needs. Just a thought.

Well it has been about a week since I posted. I took out some sand and This weekend I went to Tong's in Fountain Valley and got two small frags of Zoanthids. They are both orange but one is redder (left) and the other one has a green center (right). If anyone that lives around here that has some small mushroom or zoo frags that they don't want anymore PM me please Thanks :P

Sorry for the blurry picture but here you go...

IMG_0836.JPG

As for tank inhabitants what do you suggest? I was thinking of a small hermit crab or a small goby? I really dont know what to put in but a hermit is what i am leaning towards. Also what do you use to glue things onto the live rock?

I wouldn't relly put a fish in there, but that is just me. The whole reason I started mine up was to have a tank I didn't have to feed. A dawrf/cleaner hermit should do well. I use super glue to glue mine to the rocks if I cant get them to attach on their own, or I don't want to wait.

I really dont know I am thinking the lights are on too long cause I turn them on around 8:00 am and turn them off around 9:00 pm. Today I turned it off at 5:00 pm so hopefully its alright.

• 2 weeks later...

any updates??? how hard his it to maintain such a small tank????

im thinking of (and probably will depending on what my dad says about it) joining the 2.5g contest and was wondering is it REALLY hard to maintian a small tank...

Well im upgrading to a 2.5 so I am not going to update it anymore. I will post pics of the 2.5 when its up and running. This is my first salt water tank ever btw...

Archived