ReefCleaners.org

Who's got the smallest tank?

Kalanianaole

I'm looking to set up a one gallon tank, but my research thus far has come up with crapp-o. Anyone out there keep a one gallon or so?

Would an airstone be sufficent areation/flow? Think a neon goby would be alright in a one gallon? Am I an idiot for thinking about it?

Oh, and who's got the smallest tank on here?

talk to brandon-kind of a mythical figure around here...i think he has a 1 oz pico. heard the GSPs liked it, but top off's a *****! circulation is provided by a single adult brine shrimp flagellum!:D

Originally posted by Twins Guy

talk to brandon-kind of a mythical figure around here...i think he has a 1 oz pico.  heard the GSPs liked it, but top off's a *****!  circulation is provided by a single adult brine shrimp flagellum!:D

I think he did that in a shot glass if I remember right. Evaporation is replaced via a pipet:D.

I think a few guys here are doing 2 to 2.5 gallon nano's but no names come to mind.

Cameron

im doin a 2.5 the only really animails that would d in ur 1 gal would be inverts no fish too much bio load in a 1 gal as far as lighting 1 13 watt should do fine and mostly softies nuthn too hard cuz the tank is so small u want hardier things,Chris

Darn I was going to surprise everyone with pics of a betta hex reef, having trouble finding a skimmer and HOB for it. I figure the total volume with some live sand and live rock would be 3/4 cup. I was thinking of a snow flake eel and a lion fish for it.....

(sarcasm)

Is brandon his screenname for this board?

Tinyreef: I just sent you a message via yer guestbook. I saw your betta reef on your website and was curious how your updraft thing works.

BCOrchidGuy: Bullox to the snowflake...try a Hawaiian Dragon Eel.

Kalanianaole: I'm setting up a 1g for my wife as well. When I was at Georgia I went a LFS there. They had a 1g setup with Casiopea Jellyfish. All it had was LR, LS, some shrooms, caulerpa, and a single airstone in back of the LR! So far I'm planning on setting it up with a PH or a Mini Aquaclear. I'll be covering up the intake with foam and LR as well as diffusing the outake so that there isn't massive amounts of water movement. I plan on using a JBJ 18w 50/50 bulb and grow some caulerpa inside the tank. Let me know how you plan on doing your tank, and if you see any potential problems with my setup.

kimura: I'm trying to find a suitable tank...all I can find so far is the Aquaview 1 gallon diamond-shaped acrylic. It's kinda janky looking. What are you planning on using fer yer wife? You found any 1 gal glass tanks anywhere?

I'm planning on just doing an airstone on the bottom, and seeing how that will work out. I really want to toss a neon goby in there, cos they're so small and dont appear to throw much trash on the bioload. To counter some of that I'll bring over some feather calupra from my 6 gal.

I'm still mulling over lighting, but I may try a 13w 50/50 from Hellolights. Strangely enough, I've got a yellow cucumber that's a filter feeder who's only 3mm long. If I can find him, he'll go in there. I have some tiny tiny Scleronephthya frags (2 mm) that'll prolly go in as well. Cleanup will be maybe one blue leg and one nassarius. Oh, I've also got some gorgonian frags that'll go in.

Sand and LR for filtration. Minor minor dosings and DTs.

Whatcha'll think?

Oh, and kimura: To further decrease the strength of flow, if your powerhead has a multidirectional thing, angle it towards the surface. That way, gravity taked off some of the potency and it really helps to get oxygen from surface areation. Provided it's not so strong it shoots out the tank.

kalan,

i answered you back. it's a pretty simplistic setup. i smart guy is not! X)

i'm finding the water surface tension (ironically not at the surfce but submerged, i.e. bubbles) to be a significant factor as you get smaller and smaller. you can counter this with more rigorous water motion but that's also difficult with such small systems without blowing everything around.

brandon429(?) seems to have it down pat. while my systems seem to function, they're still not thriving like his do. B) my corals just exist (open up and seem healthy : ) but haven't shown any significant growth.

i'd go with a tiny cerith over the nassarius and skip the hermit entirely (all depending on the tank size of course). i've been thinking of fabricating my next tank as i can't find the shape and size i truly want.

Tiny, we are lucky here we have a local company that will make custom tanks any size, any dimentions and they still end up less than a stock Hagen tank of the same capacity. Drilled too if you want it, FREE if it is ordered before the tank is built.

tinyreef: Did you email me your answer? If so I'm a dolt and entered the wrong email addy. Try jaw138@mizzou.edu if you please. Thank you sir.

BCOrchidGuy: Yo, if you can get me the contact info for that custom tank-making local company, I'd really appreciate it.

To all: Is DaveESPI still around so I can get one of them lil tiny powerheads? Did he skip town or what?

Anyone else know of suitable tanks besides the trashy lil Aquaview or the out of commision JBJ Micro Tank?

Kalanianaole

The shipping would more than triple the cost of the tank, you should try All Glass Aquariums first. BTW, the local company is called Sea Star and they make some great tanks, I have a hagen 33 and a Sea Star, the finish on the Sea Star is very nice, the black silicone is really nice and the fact that the glass is substantially thicker is REALLY nice, the 33 from Sea Star barely has a bow to it, the Hagen on the other hand makes me cringe with fright, it has a huge bow in it.

Yeah, the smallest All-Glass goes is 2.5 gal. For some reason I really have my heart on a one gallon. I think it'd be rock and roll if Sea Star could make a square one gallon. Punk rawk. Without shipping, do you havea guesstimate on how much it'd be? Also, do they have a website?

yeah Canada, Okay just so you know a buddy of mine had a custom 15 gallon built by them last year and it cost him $34 I figure you could get your 1 gallon for $20... give me the dimentions you want and I can find out for you how much it will cost....I think the LFS has a 1 gallon glass that is made for keeping betta, it has the capability to be divided up into 3 seperate sections with plexi dividers.

Damn Zum! I knew you were gonna do it!

Dam you and you're ability to build!

Man anything you think of or see you build........when will it end?

Hey Kalanianaole, You should ask Zumzumn to build you a tank. He'll hook it up! After this X-mas shopping, I'll get a fuge from him.

Hey Zum, can you post some pics? Can't wait to check it out!

BCOrchidGuy: I'm thinking L-9in W-9in H-6in. And I wouldn't mind getting the slowest/cheapest shipping available. Thanks for looking into it, sir.

Zum: Hey...post those pics, I'd love to see them. Think you've got time to try a tank the dimensions I listed above? How bout with an inch lip around the inside? Just let me know how much you'd want, etc. Oh, and what hook ups was ol' Kimura speaking of?

Archived