ReefCleaners.org

Pump just stopped.

RedKnightSpecial

RedKnightSpecial

I came home fomr my work today and my pump had just stopped pumping. It was still plugeed in, but not making any noise or anything.

I put in an old pump I had laying around, but I don't even think that thing is putting out more than a couple GPH.

Anyone have any advice on fixing the old one?

I am sorry if this sounds really obvious, but I gotten few pump to work again using this method.

Take the magnetic impeller out and rinse well. Rinse other parts that came off when taking impeller. And let it run in fresh-tap water for awhile.

Also, you sometimes have to play around with casing that goes on top of the impeler to make sure if its not too tight and lose.

And remember, sometimes, you pump won't start right away. Just plug it in, in the fresh-tap water and if it doesn't start right away, give it a minute or two.

I would try rinsing out the pump a bit in some tap water. Sometimes things just build up and slow down the pump. Try that first before writing it off.

RedKnightSpecial

Have no idea how to take the magnetic impeller off. There was no obvious away to crack that sucker open.

I did, however, manage to fix it. I took it out. (that was incredibly hard to do for a man with large hands. They shoulda made it easier. They could have set it in concrete and it woulda been easier.) Then I jammed the outflow pipe into my sink faucet and turned it on full blast. Then I got a mini screwdriver and manually spun the impeller a few times. Seems to work fine now.

Now I have to get the blasted thing back IN.

Thanks for the advice, guys. The LFS was closed, I don't think my corals would have lasted the night, they were looking decidedly droopy.

Originally posted by RedKnightSpecial

Then I jammed the outflow pipe into my sink faucet and turned it on full blast.

There u go! Using force and/or blunt object on things don't work seem to be the best way to fix it!

Archived