Cultivated Reef

Has anyone tried this cooling mod. for 12DX ?

Fissy

Hello,

I recently purchased a 12DX and am in the process of setting up. Like many, I also have an overheating problem. I've scanned some of the threads re: cooling mods. but haven't come across this idea (I could have overlooked).

A couple assumptions (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Stock fans operate by sucking in outside air from side vents on top of canopy, through a SEALED lighting chamber and back out the rear fans.

2. Main heating problem is caused by the air trapped between the lighting chamber and the waters' surface. Fans have no effect on this area directly.

3. Only cheap, non-electric, non-peltier, or non-conductive means to remove this heat that I've read here is to open access door, mount an external fan near the opening and circulate fresh air into the open canopy.

Has anyone tried to mount a CPU (or similar) fan inside the access door itself ? There appears to be plenty of room. Do you think the following mod. would work ?

1. Purchase CPU fan of appropriate size.

2. Drill several holes in center of access door to form pattern the same size as fan blade.

3. Attach a surface mount screen to top of access door, over holes. In my case, I'd use the fan screen that is currently used on my 4' PC hood that is temporarily out of service.

3. Mount fan to underside of access door so air flow is directed into the tank (blowing out would quickly corrode the fan due to salt. That's why JBJ sealed the lighting compartment).

4. Drill small hole in side of access door and route wires through. In my case, I'll use the rubber grommets that are normally used in the back of the canopy (removed due to large cords running out the back).

Still unsure how to ventilate the hot air being displaced ? Would vents in the access door on either side of the fan work ? Hmmm...

Anyway, this idea would seem to retain the self-contained aspect of the Cube and virtually eliminate the poor appearence of having external fans mounted outside, the access door being left open, dust/debris from falling into tank, livestock jumping out, and the distraction of bright light eminating from the open door.

Any thoughts ?

shao-lin nano

People have installed fans on the "feeding lid" or "access door" or whatever you want to call it.

I just added 2 80mm fans to my lid to blow in air. My mod has not exactly kept it stock looking but it still looks presentable. Will have pics in my thread of this mod shortly.

Hey Fissy. The idea behind the stock fans being sealed in with the lights is to remove the heat before it heats the air over the water. Your idea will work, but at the cost of increased evaporation. If you keep up with top-offs, no problem. But, why not try to upgrade the stock fans first? The results may be what your looking for without cutting the hood.

Rob

I did this mod when i started nanocustoms.

Evap cooling is a very Cheap, effective way to go. But the salinity increases and topoffs take their toll on the system.

I have some links where i have pictures. With these fan mods, I was able to take temps down to 72F in 80 Ambient.

Thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=42195

PICS : 60mm Fan mounted on the door hinge.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...oto=5089&sort=1

cc,

Excellent pics. Mounting it at the edge of the hood, not the door, might be a better way to go.

Not overly concerned with evaporation. I plan to have a timer and only operate the aux. fan when needed. I'll have an auto top-off to maintain perfect salinity. I have a Maxximma 60gpd for an ample supply of near perfect water. I may need to upgrade the reservoir size for a 10-day max supply.

Rob,

Reading other threads on this, I didn't get the feeling that upgrading the stock fans made more than a degree or two of difference. I could be wrong though and by no means do I have any first-hand experience. I do know that radiant heat, in general, is quite powerful and some have suggested that this comprises the bulk of the heat source in these Cubes, not the ambient inside the sealed light chamber. JMO.

Archived