Cultivated Reef

Some Pico Ideas - WANTED

EPICTANKHERE

EPICTANKHERE

So i am thinking of doing a pico tank at my office. I work for WarnerBrothers Studios for a bunch of the TV shows we produce. The department i work in is very dynamic and we have a state of the art cubicles so we can interact easily. So i have a tank foot print of about 5" X 5" that would fit on my desk. Right now my grandeous idea for a little package is a .75 g pico and i want it to seem seamless and no cluttered with wires/pumps/lights ect. on the desk. I want to hang a mini DIY light hood and use LED (so you think it can work?). The hood would be made out of a black post-it despenser that i would hang over the tank with fishing line. Has anyone seen anybody be successful with the whole LED lighting thing?

The other big idea is a 1-2 gallon sump under my desk. But how do i get the water down there!? Here's the tank i want to use:

http://www.aquatichouse.com/tanks_files/co...ctaquariums.asp

it is the red sea aqua vase and it is acrylic. Could i drill holde at the top for an over flow and return ? I want the water level to be as close to the top as possible. For a pump i was thinking about the Aqua lifter:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...idproduct=KTALP

do you think it has enough for flow in the pico?

I would like to see 2 clear hoses attached to the back of the pico and that's it. the light hanging above and all the clutter in the sump. Is it possible? can it be done? I need thoughts, tips, experience, and advise. This will be a slow process but if we can figure it out i will make a detailed thread documenting this whole project. thank you thank you thank you

u work at warner bros... thats crazy so do i, im actually in central perk right now!!!! i work at the executive gate if u ever wanna chat about reefs! good luck with the LED thing.

EPICTANKHERE

any thoughts on the sump idea? can i just drill a 1/4" hole at the top of the tank for an overflow? remember everything will be mini!

EPICTANKHERE

This isn't about easy i want the challenge and i really dont have room for a fishtank on my desk at all. my co-workers don't think it's possible.

yeah i caught his video today. amazing. i cant believe he has a fluval under there. Definately going to use it it for insperation. thanks newbiecarlz!!!!

Yes, thank you newbiecarlz! Epic, you should already have computer cable condiuts in the top of your desk. Just place the bulkheads so that they will fit through the hole. After that, you can keep it as simple or as complex as you like (ie, chaeto fuge and autotopoff would be optional).

Good luck!

- Chad

Fish's tank is so freaking awsome, get MH lighting, and you can get some nice colors in a small tank. Fish, the hermit crab dying made me sad :( please no more of those little guys.

thanks fish! Yeah i nead to comb through your threads to see exactly how you overflow works. I can seem to find one at all from the pics. Anybody have thoughts the GPH flow i should go for in a .75g?

Archived