SaltCritters.com

My Skimmer Solution

nanoskimguy

For 5 months I experimented with many various combinations of notches and depths to make what I believe is the best skimming solution. I made it in clear black acrylic. It looks and works awesome. If anyone wants more information and pictures of my skimmer, contact me at nanoskim@sbcglobal.net.

Nanoskimguy

where did you get the black acrylic? i painted mine with auto spray paint. but i surmise it might not be reef safe.

yours looks great. can you make more to sell :)

Ok, I looked at paypal and I can accept money using paypal. I have about 50 of these things in 2 sizes (one for the 6 and 12 original/dual fan model, and one for the 12dx/24 gallon model. Please specify which one you are interested in when you e-mail. I've had mine in for about 5 months now and it works awesome. The ones at my LFS have been in for about 1 month and it has solved many problems for them. The only thing is that after you put in the skimmer, you have to top-off to your desired water level (in the sump, for maximum skimming action). I prefer about 1/2 inch above the center divider, but it may vary. Don't forget to top off your tank every 2 days or so. Anyway, off to work, drop me a line if you're interested.

Thanks,

nanoskimguy

It has a clear acrylic "hanger" that allows it to hang on the back of the nanocube. The suction from the pump pulls it onto the intake. When you shut your pump off it stays in place because it's hanging. I didn't go with magnets because i didn't want to block any of the intake grate (slows down skimming and allows for algae buildup) Plus I didn't want to have to mess with magnets everytime i wanted to take it out (My nanocube is in a place where I can't open the top lid all the way). It is made out of clear black acrylic (it blends in with the tank and you can see it skimming very faintly) It looks cool. It has a clear top so people won't lose fish in there anymore. You just hang it on the back and take it out when you are cleaning or whatnot. If anyone has any more questions please feel free to ask. I'm gonna take better pictures today so you get a better idea of what it is. It looks phenomenal in the tank, way better than the cassette mod! I will update a bit later, feel free to e-mail me and i'll send you information.

Nanoskimguy

Ok, I'm going to do an ebay auction to protect buyers and simplify the process. E-mail me if you have any questions. The address of the store is: http://stores.ebay.com/nanoskimdirect Here is another picture so you can see what it looks like in the tank, etc. More pictures are available in my gallery and in my ebay store.

Nanoskimguy

Ok everyone, if you ordered a skimmer in the last few days it will be shipped tomorrow. I'm off to work. If there are any questions ask through e-mail or through the ebay store and I'll answer them later. When you buy through the store, you will specify which model nanocube you have after you buy it.

Thanks,

Nanoskimguy

Hey Nanoskimguy,

I've sent you a PM and email with some questions as I've already paid for my skimmer. If you could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Is there really a certain depth the grooves should be cut to in order for the skimmer to work correctly? I used an old 8mm case and found that it works so-so, but my notches are no where as deep as yours?

Nanoskimguy............

Can I purchase directly using paypal instead of going thru Ebay? To me its more convient with less hassles.

Oh by the way, I will be needing a skimmer that fits the Nc6.

Thanks.

Ok, first to answer a few questions I have received.

I've made over 20 prototypes experimenting with different notch sizes, and shapes as well as the actual skimmer box dimensions.

The notch depth is important. I have experimented with several different depths and widths. I have found that a deeper narrower notch works best. A wider, shallower notch does not work well, it does not allow enough pressure to build up on the skimmer, therefore reducing effective skimming action. A wider notch also allows too much water into the skimmer and fills it above the nanocubes intake slots. If this happens no skimming takes place, it just gets trapped in the skimmer. Our notch design has been tested and allows the most effective skimming for stock setups and larger pumps.

Frequent water topoffs are necessary to keep the level in your sump at your desired level. This will be true with any skimmer because it is restricting water flow through the skimming process. I topoff my tank about every other day. I also experimented with blocking the lower intake (for those of you with 2 intakes) and found no benefit to the skimming action (Note: keeping the lower intake open will ensure that your sump can never go totally dry).

for those of you with refugiums, etc. This skimmer will allow you to maintain a higher level of water in your sump while still receiving the benefits of surface skimming.

Another benefit is that you can now keep the water level above the black "beauty ring" and still skim the surface.

If you want to buy direct without using the ebay store, e-mail me at nanoskim@sbcglobal.net and i will send you details on how to pay.

For those of you who order before 12:00am PST, your order will be shipped tomorrow (saturday).

If you have any questions, feel free to post them, or e-mail me. I have picked up more materials and I will build more so I don't run out. I am very thankful for all the interest people have shown in my skimmer.

Thanks,

nanoskimguy

oh yeah, here is a picture of one of the prototypes (the same as the final design) in clear. Here you can see the skimming action taking place, and that this works. Cool huh?

did you get my paypal>?12dxnc

what made me decide to get it was that you put a cover over it so, little fish, snails, etc dont get trapped inside. i find that a neg. aspect of the cassette modif.

look forwarding to getting it

Hey, Just curious, would anyone be interested in a clear skimmer? I think they look really cool (you saw it in the picture above). Just let me know.

nanoskimguy

anyone with a fuge light i think would not. another reason why i ordered yoru skimmer bec i belive itl block out the fuge light spilling over to the main display. eventually it ll get covered by corralline algae anyway. my other nc wiht a cassette is completely covered by coralline.

nanoskimguy,

How did you ship the skimmers? I paid you last week and have not received any word from you since then concerning my question nor have I received any deliveries today. If you would be so kind as to get back to me I'd much appreciate it.

even i have an issue with the notices, the quality of the skimmer is excellant. very manufacutured looking. high quality black acrylic and clean lines. i added a second pump to my cube and causes more suction in the bank and pushes more water to the display. so for me, i need deep notches.

otherwise, the quality is even better than i expected.

thank you nanoskimguy...........

Thanks very much Nanobob! I appreciate the compliment. Your skimmer looks very nice also! Hey, when does it start getting cold up there in Michigan? Pretty quick I'll bet! Are there many fish stores there in Michigan? Have you contacted them about your skimmer? Our LFS's were very receptive of our skimmer, they've sold over 50 of them so far with just 2 stores. Good luck bud and happy reefkeeping! ;)

Yes the cold weather will be here soon. Although it has been in the high 80's here recently. Picked a great summer to put up a pool!!

There are a few stores that have shown interest. One in particular that I am working with is selling them.

Thanks for the compliment and happy modding!

Bob

Archived