Cultivated Reef

Small white "stars"

StanD

I will post a pic tomorrow when I borrow a digital camera, but here's a brief description.

Small starfish-like objects that stick to the sides of my 20G acrylic aquarium. The center is a bright white and about the size of a grain of sand. They have anywhere from 3 to 8 'arms' that radiate from the center and are clear with white tips. Total size about 1/16 on an inch max.

My tank has been cycling with live sand for 3 weeks now and these things started to appear slowly - now numbering about 50+. I can remove them from the sides with my MagFloat but they "stick" again when the water current carries them against the acrylic.

Any ideas? I know it's hard without a pic, but maybe someone knows...

Oh, 1 more thing - they don't appear to move from where they 'land'.

Sounds like hydroids to me if they're about the size of a piece of sand.

Do they look like this?

Polyp_id_2.jpg

If this is what's in your tank, they're not really desirable creatures as they sting just about anything. They might disappear on their own if left to starve (no phyto, zooplankton) to feed on.

They look like those but aren't the same color. Very bright white with clear arms. Nothing in the tank right now except live sand and a damsel. Appeared about 1 week ago - 2 weeks after I started to cycle the tank. Wonder where they came from?

Archived