ReefCleaners.org

6-month Update: 1.6 Gallon Hex Pico

moonyguy

Hello Guys,

Its about time for an update after ~6-months of starting my tank.

Added some new LR to give more surface area for the frags. I upgraded the lights to a 20W 50/50 PC. The original hood couldnt hold the light due to its long length so I modified a table lamp to fit the 20W bulb along with moon lights. I got the bulb for 12$ shipped from a fellow reefer online. The moon lights were free from Premium Aquatics for winning a photo contest they sponsored. Now the corals. The candy cane and frogspawn have grown very big over the last couple of months. I also got lots of free frags from Coral Fanatics for again winning a photo contest they sponsored. Some zoas, a ricordea, a toadstool and some sps (might not survive) were added during the last two months and so far the tank has been holding pretty well. Just regular water changes along with a drop of phyto every week is all the maintainence so far. I am tempted to dose something for the SPS but since I dont have a test kit to test for them I am holding back.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

clear skies

Vishnu

Pico11.jpg

Pico13.jpg

Pico9.jpg

Pico10.jpg

Pico12.jpg

mushroom head

Hey Moonyguy! This is shroom from the chat line if you remember me. The tank looks awesome! Oh and BTW that does not look like a frogspawn but i may be wrong.

Nice tank. I love to see the few people that try to make cool nanos out of these tanks. I still have the original hood on mine with a 10w, but am looking to upgrade. Keep posting pics. Do you have anything besides corals in yours. Right now I have two yellow cumubers(split from one)and a harlequin shrimp along with lots of softies.

Thanks a lot for your comments guys.

dantwenty2

I too love the way they look under moon lights. The pictures dont justify the color and beauty of the neon green color of the frogspawn.

Tballa

I have three cerith snails and 3 blue-legged hermit crabs. I would want to add a cleaner or a peppermint shrimp but I am not sure if I have enough room for them to feed and move around. Comments and suggestions welcome on this.

Vishnu

hey! great tank!!! I have the same exact tank, though right now it is set up as a freshwater tank.... I will be converting it to a saltwater pico tank pretty soon. I was just wondering what you are using for watermovement and about how much it cost to set up. Thanks for the info, you did a great job! I can only hope to creat something that great with mine

Thanks for the comments. For water movement I am using a Red Sea Clear Nano Filter that gives above 15 gph (a little less than ideal).

As far as cost goes the rough break up is below.

Tank: 20$ from walmart

Thermometer: 3$ from Petco

HOB Filter: 13$ from Petco

Hydrometer: 4$ from Petco

Table Fan for cooling: 12$ from Walmart

Lights: Table lamp from Walmart: 10$ (I didnt use the hood)

Bulb: 20W 50/50 PC Bulb. 10$ Shipped from Dakota (member here)

Live Sand: 1 lbs from LFS for 5$

Crushed Coral: 5$ for 10lbs bag (Try not to use it...hard to clean)

LR: 5lbs 15$

Live Stuff inside is mostly free or very low price.

Hope that helps.

Vishnu

thanks for the break down! how did you set up the moonlighting for it? i love the way it makes your tank look. Does the lamp you bought support two bulbs, or is that wire wrapping up the lamp stand a MOD to add the moonlighting? Keep up the good work, it looks amazing!

PS - I see that your from North Dakota! Both my parents are from there (Mandan and Bismark, so im pretty familiar with the area! Hope that its treating you alright, get your winter clothes ready!!!

• 5 months later...

Thanks a lot for your kind words. The moon light is just taped on to the side of the hood. Its at an angle to the side so it casts good shadow on the corals. I got to Mandan every summer for a public astronomy event. Really nice place in the summer. But winters are crazy...burried in feet of snow now with high winds!

thanks for the break down! how did you set up the moonlighting for it? i love the way it makes your tank look. Does the lamp you bought support two bulbs, or is that wire wrapping up the lamp stand a MOD to add the moonlighting? Keep up the good work, it looks amazing!

PS - I see that your from North Dakota! Both my parents are from there (Mandan and Bismark, so im pretty familiar with the area! Hope that its treating you alright, get your winter clothes ready!!!

I ripped off the hood that came with the desk lamp. Then I used a cardboard box and used duct tape to mount it as hood around the lamp holder. The 20w bulb screwed right in. I used some kitchen foil as reflector. I had it for many months now...no problem. Might have to replace the bulb sometime. I will post some images in the next day or so. Unfortunately a few of my corals have died...mostly due to my neglect. I was over seas for one month when the tank pretty much fended for itself except for topoff. I am debating if I should replace the coral or upgrade to a larger tank!

Can you give us a breakdown of how you modified the desk lamp to fit the 20W PC bulb. Pictures would be nice if you've got'em. Thanks.

Archived