Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Crap, now I need help!

MacnReef

Alright, I currently have a 10g nano with mostly softies. I love the way it looks but as you all know, we always want to go bigger. And when I mean bigger I mean lighting. I had 2-36W pc one actinic the other daylight, the setup was fine, but for some reason, I put a 250W metal halide pendant on the tank. I put a few threads out and have only had bad responses. I wanted to grow SPS and clams but realize now that I really don't know if I like the pendant. Is this too much light? If so, do you think 2-36W pc are plenty for a montipora, softies and maybe an LPS? I eventually want to set-up a 20g with a 10g refugium. I will probably use 4-55W pc instead of the 250W unless you guys think otherwise.

Please help. I can still return the 250W if needed.

I'd say that if you already have the MH, use it. Otherwise the LPS should be absolutely fine under 2 36 watters. I have 4 kinds all growing under a single 32 watt smartlamp.

the heat will definitely be an issue but that's inherent with this niche of the hobby anyway.

the light is fine imo (you can always use it when you upgrade). just hang it higher if the livestock can't take it (judge from their coloring, too light vs. darker). i would supplement with actinic anyway.

the switch from 2x32w to 250w mh has got to be traumatic tho for the animals. try to ease them into it. position the mh high enough to replicate the PC's light level and then slowly ease the pendant down (5~10%/week).

250 on a 10... lol.... actually sure why not, especially seeing what you want to keep I bet it will be a coral factory. Like Tiny says, keep the light higher, even at two feet above the tank the bulb will only have half of its intensity, lower it slowly and Im sure the stuff will love it. The LFS has 250 watt bulbs over a mushroom tank and some of the shrooms have moved up to the highest rocks and are thriving, given time they will all love it.

I was almost considering going back to softies and pc, because of all the negative feedback I was getting, but I guess I will rig something up the 13W pc actinic supplements.

Thanx again!!!!!:)

The only way it could be too much light is if you shock your corals by introducing them to it too fast (like everybody said). There's no reason why you couldnt mount that light REALLY high above the tank if at some point you think its too much. Or you could try to filter the light somehow with a piece of tinted glass or something. Or you could put the light on a funny angle so its not beating down directly on your corals. Or you could mount it way off center over your tank so only half the tank is super bright. There are lots of options. Options I wish I had...:happy:

Oh, and make sure to post pictures.

getting bad feedback on another post.: But anyways, I will see if I can borrow that camera I took the other shots with an post them later this week.

Thanx again

Archived