ReefCleaners.org

what is this?

f23power

so i was at my LFS and this was sitting in the 15 dollar frag tank...so without doing my research, i bought it. what is it? is it photosynthetic or do i need to feed it meaty stuff? what kinda lighting does it need?

Picture_0011.jpg

Boo-tee-full. Favia of some kind, an LPS coral, it eats chunky, meaty foods like cyclop-eeze, frozen mysis, and bits of silversides. Phyto is NOT a suitable LPS food.

Hardy, beautiful coral, and a steal of a price! Got a photo without actinics, out of curiosity?

Originally posted by Caesar777

Boo-tee-full. Favia of some kind, an LPS coral, it eats chunky, meaty foods like cyclop-eeze, frozen mysis, and bits of silversides. Phyto is NOT a suitable LPS food.  

Hardy, beautiful coral, and a steal of a price! Got a photo without actinics, out of curiosity?

that pic was taken under a 20,000k 175 watt metal halide. heres a somewhat better pic with just flash and with my midas blenny in the background. it said on live aquaria that they have tentacles. i yet to see any.

Picture.jpg

Reef_Mad_Man

you will soon!! They produced them at night mainly. They can be as long a six inches or as short as 1/4".

FRozen krill, mysid shrimp, silver sides, squid chunks things of that nature should be fed to it at least two times per week.

Feed it after dark though. It will be more apt. to eat when the lights are out. (most lps will feed in either conditions but is is natural for them to feed at night).

Looks like a moon stone to me? Favia brain.

Yup...Tentacles come out at night, usually 15-45 minutes after lights out. That's the best time to feed them...And, yes, give it space! All LPS have sweepers, some longer than others, but all are capable of reaching very far if they have their "eye" on something.

Archived