Innovative Marine Aquariums

Black spots on my Yellow Tang???

reefguru21

2 days ago I noticed that my yellow tang have black dots about the size of a pin head all over its body. It reminds me of ick but smaller and black. the fish is acting normal and eating regularly and doesn't seem to be rubbing up against rock to ich the spots. I've talk to some of the guys that I work with at the fish store and we're all stumped on this one, any helpat all would be greatly appriciated.

Not to be a d!ck but your LFS guys don't know very much if their stumped on Black Spot Ick. It's a fairly common Tang disease and I've seen 99% of it occur on Yellow tangs.

What size tank do you have him in?

Anyhow, it's a type of worm, just not a free living non parasitic type like flatworms. This is seen pretty often when new Tangs arrive from tranships accross the world. The best way to eliminate this in my experiences is FS baths or Formalin baths in saltwater.

Cameron

Just making sure the tank was a descent size so he didn't feel cramped. Water quality, verying temp, or any stress will cause this type of infection. From my experiences it's usually water related but do a full run of tests on the tank and make sure your temp doesn't swing more than 4-5 degrees a day....

Cameron

Archived