ReefCleaners.org

caesar777 (and gang)

reef n ale

Hey Flo, it looks like I can't attach an image to a PM. Well, I don't know how anyway! Here's the best pic I could get of the algae we discussed. Hopefully you can make out the details. Anyone else, please feel free to chime in!

Rob

Wow, weird stuff--NO idea, though I've seen it. (Luckily I've never had to deal with it--sounds nasty!) I'd definitely go to Anthony Calfo for this one. I'll post in his forum on RF and see what he says...He generally responds quickly.

Heheh.. I'll bet it sucks! Good luck, man. Already posted. Anthony always has lots of good info, soooo...

Anthony's response. Damn he's fast! :D

eh... an easy one I do like plants and algae.

This growth is Lobophora. I'm as certain as I can be from a pic ID.

Do some searches for that name, of course.

You will find that it can be a boon or scourge... at times getting invasive. Control by snails or herbivorous fishes is usually ineffective. Manual extaction does not spread it badly... but it is tough to remove.

I prefer to use (even if only temporarily) urchins to raze it.

Reef_Mad_Man

BTW you had better pull that sps frag back out of that hole its in ! LOL!!

I had that type of algae before as well. Th eonly thing that seemed to affect it was lighting. As in MORE on it. It grew FAST in shadey areas. Was said to be a form of platin gcoraline at one point by some one els ebut I dont think that is th case. I think it is more of a fungus than anything. It is slimey to the touch and not hard like coraline is. If you peel off a little bit where it is plating you will see what I mean, not only is it slimey it is also rubbery.

Mine just all died off one day? Have no idea how I got rid of it actually?

(manual removal made it spread perty' darn' good in my tank !)

Looks more like a Kenya/Nephthea tree soft coral than an SPS. JMO. :)

Lobophora! That's the stuff! Big cheers to Flo and Anthony!! I let you know how the battle plays out.

And Mad_Man, Flo's right, it's a very small Kenya.:)

Rob

Archived