Top Shelf Aquatics

Black algae

SuperLittle

Hello everyone!

I've never posted before, but have been reading the forum for a while.

I'm new to the nano world. My tank has been running since Sept. 11. I've noticed some black stuff growing in the darker corner of my tank. I'm assuming its black algea. It kind-of grows in like a "puff ball" formation. (Best way I can descibe it)

Can someone help me get rif of this stuff?? Can I buy a critter that will eat it?? I really don't want to take the rock out and scrub it like I've read on some other threads.

Thanks for your help.

slime algae maybe. velvet-like? the bumps may be air bubbles trapped underneath. best way is to suck them out with a turkey baster imo. the algae's a bit noxious for the normal cleaning crews.

you may want to back off on your feeding and increase your water flow in that area. i find the nutrient factor to be the more critical issue for the heavy slime (black) problems. hth

Thanks for the info.

yes, someone else also suggested that I increase my current in that area. It makes sense, because the problem area is located on the rock that is directly above the powerhead, which the current I guess doesn't reach as well. The problem is, I don't know how to move my powerhead without moving and disrupting everything.

I will try the turkey baster, though. Any other suggestions??

Archived