Top Shelf Aquatics

outbreak of epedemic proportions

nano_mike00

Ok guys, this has been bugging me for a while now.

I have what seems to be 35+ of these little critters roaming my tank at night. They appear to be shell-less turbo snails? i only have one turbo snail in my JBJ 25DX but in the last couple of months these things have been popping up EVERYWHERE. at night they can be seen in numbers exceeding 30 ravishing my glass. they are about 1/4 inch to 1 1/4 inches in length. they have the same mouths the same "foot" and everything as the turbos but no shell. they are like turbo "slugs". has anyone spotted these critters in their tanks?

hope they arent bad since i have more than one per GALLON of water in my tank!

Thanks in advance!

-mike

Not sure what they are but I have some in my 2.5 MB. If they are the same thing, they actually do have a shell, just blends in very well. The shell looks like 1/2 a clam shell. Mine graze the glass & seem to do no harm to the corals. Saw 2 of them the other day reared up and spitting small little round things into the tank. Think they were spawning. :blush:

Here is some info.

ok did a little research on stomatella snails and as it turns out these are in fact what i have.

they are harmless grazers and do rather well in reef tanks. they are also apparently pretty hard and love to reproduce. they are very nocturnal snails and grow to be about 1 1/4'' long. this hits the nail RIGHT on the head.

in conclusion

I have an epedemic outbreak of harmless stomatella snails :-D

thanks doc!

Archived