ReefCleaners.org

8 month update - 1.5gal pico

newbiecarlz

Due to popular demand (haha - well mushroomhead at least) here is an update on my pico.

Prior to picos having their very own special forum, my tank had its journalin the member's reefs forum.

Its about 8 months old now, and going really well. I had to add a heater a few months ago when the weather started getting cool, but otherwise all of the original livestock is still in there. The shrooms have been multiplying and ive also added a few frags from my 12 gal.

heres a shot of the tank 'in situ' on my boyfriends desk. to be honest the tank gets neglected alot, i do waterchanges every week or two, and my boyfriend does the topping off every few days.

Here's a closer full tank shot. The CBS is a nasty little bugger, he nips really hard! (unlike the one in my 12gal, who is an angel)

The fluffy shrooms (rhodactis) were moved to my 12gal, although ive since fragged them and moved a couple back to the pico.

enjoy!

Thanks guys,

I'm very happy with this tank, it has been great to see some of the 'micro-fauna' (worms, algaes, etc) that get gobbled by fish and clean-up crews in my 12gal.

Future additions planned include some more mushroom frags from my other tank, and a small snail to keep the glass clean. at the moment I have been manually scraping it down every week or so.. (it ends up a bit green!). also might put a few stray zoas in there that have been floating homeless around my 12gal..

oh and if i was stocking this tank again, i would have got sexy shrimps instead of the CBS. i think they would look fantastic in this tank.

the only issue i think the zoas might have is flow - the flow is quite weak but i will see how they go. i put them in last night.

Carl ive been trying fer weeks to decide on my next tank,all lps,or a shallow lagoon setup,and now i think im going fer a basic mushroom tank.Your tank will be my inspiration.My last tank was a 5.5 similar to yours now but with zoo's and mush and now my decision has been made.

P.S. i hope you dont care on the copy of your system?

edit:its funny my rockwork even looked exactly the same on my 5.5

thanks for the kudos deacon, keep us posted and I hope your tank works out!

its funny, you want a mushroom tank and I want an LPS tank... haha I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

PS its CarlY, im a girl! (but dont feel bad, most reefers are male so it seems..)

LOL sorry carly didnt know but its all good,yeah i have like 3 or 4 different lighting setups and tanks and im going with a simple mush tank fer now till im fully sure im settled in at a certain location.I guess the LPS tanks gonna be on hold fer a bit. Oh btw what lighting is on this little guy?,ive got 10w T5's,a 32w retro,and a bunch of 13 watters pc so its up in the air what lighting im going with. suggestions?

• 3 months later...

Ok sorry its been so long between updates.. had finals a few weeks ago but now I'm graduating! whoo hoo!

so heres my lil pico, almost a year old now, wow time flys. to recap on the set-up:

1.5 gal tank

9 watt PC light fixture

small HOB filter (running empty - no media)

Heater

LR

Livestock: Coral banded shrimp, various shrooms, 2 small snails (new), various macro algae/micro fauna hitch hikers

I started it December last year, so its almost a year old!! still have all the original livestock, this tank hasnt skipped a beat!

full tank shot (note water bottle for size reference ... and top off!)

post-7630-1133490408_thumb.jpg

and a close up

post-7630-1133490692_thumb.jpg

As you can see, tank maintenance hasnt improved much (blame exams!) and now that ive got snails I dont even have to clean the glass. I do a small water change when I remember (every 2 weeks roughly) and my b/f is in charge of topping off. The shrimp is fed pellets once a week and moults regularly, and has grown alot this year!

not sure what the plans are for this tank now... probably just leave it as is and see if it can ride out another year! I did toy with the idea of upgrading the HOB to a higher flow model but at this stage I'll run with the existing one.

I also put in a few loose zoas a few months back but they didnt make it (they werent in great shape to start with though). Ive got some larger colonies to spare in my nano now so I might try them again soon.

Cheers!

Archived