Pod Your Reef

Christmas gifts for nano-reefers

Pikelet

With Christmas Day fast approaching, those who celebrate the event might be thinking about you and wondering what in the dickens to buy for you and your tank without ruining the surprise by asking you.

What could someone buy you as a gift for the reef tank that would be sure to bring a smile to your face?

Just about anything that I didn't have to pay for would bring a smile to MY face...heheheh, GIMME GIMME

There of course budget constraints most people have to go on and as everyone knows, anything related to aquariums, especially salt/reef tanks can be really spendy.

Things that come to mind that have been bought for me that I normally might not spent the money on for myself....

Hobby related books/videos/art/prints and knicky knacks.

Refractometer... spendy little stocking stuffer that so beats the hell out of the plastic hydrometers.

And then there is the everneeded items like test kits, salt, additives, new bulbs, ect. Items perhaps best bought by the individual through use of the ever-so-poplar, stand the test of time gift certificate to the LFS or on-line retailer.

And who don't want more frags and fishies? Again best bought with gift cert unless that gift giver knows your set up and the hobby itself as well as you do, or preferably better,hehe.

OK ... this is my christmas list for anyone I directed to this thread.

1 x lettuce nudibranch

1 x 125g reef ready AGA tank and stand

1 x 10K Metal Halide HQI DE + 55W actinic PC light c/w reflector and ballast from Pet Supply Liquidators

1 x Green banded goby or yellow watchman goby

Merry Christmas

Greed is GOOD
the man makes a good point lol

i want gift certificates cuz i dont want my parents messn up and im getn a stand for my 28 bow and lr but im showoing my dad exactly wat lr im getnand having him order it for me,Chris

I'd just like to state here and now that I'm not keen on gift certificates. If you've ever seen a young child tear open their pressies on Christmas morning you'll know that a gift certificate simply doesn't rate. It's also a little lazy on the part of the gift giver.

LOL I agree Pikelet but I am so unbelievably fussy, gift certificates to my favorite LFS are a sure bet for me. PLUS, if you can get everyone to get you a GC from the same place you can get a big ticket item maybe.... like the 135 I have my eye on.. or the custom 108.....

I'd just like to state here and now that I'm not keen on gift certificates. If you've ever seen a young child tear open their pressies on Christmas morning you'll know that a gift certificate simply doesn't rate. It's also a little lazy on the part of the gift giver.

Pike, what the.....? You like 6 years old then?....lol Surely if that young child is keeping a full on nano, there is an advancement in maturity and intelligence that would thus allow for "full on" appreciation of the value and good intentions of said gift cert....

Wait, what am I saying! I've been around here long enough and read enough posts.... I take the whole maturity and intelligence thing back! By the way I have now forwarded YOUR gift certificate on to one of the "more advanced in years" members of this site .... lazy? hmmmmph you unappreciative little turd!

(haha?):P

Originally posted by glazer

Pike, what the.....?  You like 6 years old then?....lol  Surely if that young child is keeping a full on nano, there is an advancement in maturity and intelligence that would thus allow for "full on" appreciation of the value and good intentions of said gift cert....

Wait, what am I saying! I've been around here long enough and read enough posts....  I take the whole maturity and intelligence thing back!  By the way  I have now forwarded YOUR gift certificate on to one of the "more advanced in years" members of this site ....  lazy? hmmmmph you unappreciative little turd!

(haha?):P

Some people are old by the time they reach puberty. I'm sure they'd appreciate all the thought and caring that went into buying a gift certificate.

Fortunately, others live their lives with both intelligence AND passion. They are the ones who go out of their way to find just the right gift. I might be an unappreciative little turd but people sure like the beautifully wrapped and well chosen presents I buy them. They think I'm the bees knees. Who am I to disagree.

:)

Bees have knees?

Yeah most people like gifts, and honestly I like buying gifts and I love to see how happy people are to open a gift. I get upset if I don't see someone open something I got them, but for me..... being such a major fuss ass.....

I just remember, and I'm not sure who, someone getting a birthday gift from their wife/girlfriend/SO of fish and it turned out they weren't really compatibile (or something along those lines). I'd hate to go through that.. especially since I don't think fish and coral would last long in a wrapped up box :P

Don't get me wrong.. I know the pleasure of handing out presents.. and I guess if I had to have someone get me something in the sphere of aquatics, it would have to be something non-organic.. tank, PH, filter, etc.. even if I didn't use it right away, I'd always find SOME use for it.. I'm a packrat.. I've been known to McGuyver things together from absolute junk..

but people sure like the beautifully wrapped and well chosen presents I buy them. They think I'm the bees knees. Who am I to disagree.

I certainly see what you're saying here, but when i don't know quite what to get, I go for the beautifully wrapped and well chosen gift certificate. You just need paper with a small print, and pretty curling ribbon :)

Originally posted by Xavier

Gift Certificate... wouldn't want someone to buy me something without knowing my parameters or livestock...

well said.

My X-mas gift is arriving tomorrow courtesy of thelogicalreef.com No other money to be spent on me. Every red cent goes to the baby, if it ever actually arrives.

printerdown01

1) Digital Thermometer

2) Books. I actually have The Reef Aquarium Vol 2 on my list... BUT

With me you can NEVER go wrong with plain old marine bio texts. I find the more informative, I can figure out how to synthesize the environment on my own ;). I don't need a book to turn the words "small crustations" into "mysis shrimp" for me!

...but you will probably not go wrong with books. Quick tip: get books with "modern" looking pictures. If the pictures look like they are old, the information is probably old too :P

3) Snails :love: I'll marry the girl that can buy me snails when I need 'em!

4) A red flashlight! If you sig other doesn't have one of these, it can be the best gift ever. Wrap it up with a new fish magazine, and they WILL be excited. Now your saying, I know them better than that... A red flashlight will NOT be their favorite gift for x-mas ....just remember all those nights you watched them on all fours looking into a pitch black tank, yelling excitedly "honey honey quick come look!! ...awe you missed it... it was the coolest worm!!"

> when i don't know quite what to get, I go for the beautifully wrapped and well chosen gift certificate.

I like to wrap these in a large box, preferably taping the gift certificate envelope to something fairly heavy that sits in the bottom of the box.

I really wish some of the better etailers would set up wish lists like Amazon has... but they don't, so I point family at Amazon and my wish list there, which has a bunch of hobby-related books I don't own yet along with the usual DVDs and such.

I already know what my husband's giving me for Christmas -- I've been working on buying the stuff for the last two months! It's the 29g tank upgrade and gear for that.

Hey Chris -- maybe set up a page of "suggested gifts for nano-reef keepers" and include stuff like consumables and stuff you never mind having extras of... like 50w/100w heaters, fish food, coral food, Minijet powerheads, ??

Year in and year out, whenever someone asks me what I want for my birthday or for hannukah, I always tell them pictures of dead presidents. I hate returning bad gifts (ill fitting or plain old ugly) and nobody can purchase something for my tank other than me.

I agree that a gift certificate or cash for a child is a lame gift idea and sometimes people can pull off a great gift idea (my mp3 player from my wife a few years back was a good one) but as an adult, I just find it easier for someone to say "here's $100, go buy a shirt at Banana Republic" On the downside, I end up spending much more money once inside the store.

Archived