Cultivated Reef

DIY Rotating Nozzle Design

Catspa

Interested in figuring out if anyone has any ideas on how to get some micro power heads to rotate or something. I figure if i could manage this, and then hook it to a wave gen, i'd be set.

Thanks,

ps i edit this to refine my post

i think people are confused by the notion of a patent. a patent does not mean that you can't build a replica for yourself. it simply means that you can't sell them and make money from someone elses design. if you want to copy someones design for your own personal use you can do so without fear. just dont sell it.

Ha! mxpro32 you'd never believe this but i was just saying the same thing on another forum. Problem is, as you said, that people don't understand Patent law and the Doctrine of Equivalents. But i don't want do get into it, else they'll end up killing the post.

Point is that there must be an easy, cheap way to build some type of powerhead that would sweep from side to side, or the nozel would sweep from side to side, or get the whole thing to rotate..etc.. and was wondering if anyone had come up with something? or if we could flush out some ideas, even it someone just has an idea about even a part of the contraption or just a general concept?

So anyone have some ideas?

i know of a product that works, but since you're going to be weird, i won't mention it. but seriously, it rotates 360 on a vertical or horizontal plane if you wanted it to.

ever open the valve for your garden hose all the way with the other end open?

how about attaching a powerhead to the swinging arm of a grandfather clock, then dipping it in the water?

uh.... maybe just pay some high school kid to dangle the powerhead in the tank and swing it back and forth like a sleeping yo-yo.

tie the powehead to a rubber band and let the powerhead hang just so it's submerged. spin the rubber band so it's all wound up like one of those rubberband powered toy planes. now LET GO AND WHEEEEEEEEE!

i still don't see your point.

edit: ok now that you've changed your original post, my post makes me sound like i'm crazy. ahahahah. :happy:

Really? seems like you do :)

this product that you know that works is it under $100 CND all costs (shipping included)? it not then its out of my budget.

The reason i don't want to mention any products, is because i did so on the reefcentral forum and they killed my post. Basically there scared sh*tless of getting suied, they don't understand the concepts behind a patent. - anyway don't feel like starting up another S**t storm..

I either want to build something, or i want to buy something if its cheap, So i guess we can open this up to Hey do know anything that i can build? OR Hey do you know anything CHEAP that i can buy?

Hmmm. If you're going to invent something, I think it would be better to try to replicate true surge current in the tank, not just arc a jet around 360 degrees. That seems like a lot of work for a pretty lack lustre method to move water around.

Hmmm. If you're going to invent something, I think it would be better to try to replicate true surge current in the tank, not just arc a jet around 360 degrees. That seems like a lot of work for a pretty lack lustre method to move water around.

already been done, and um, it's spendy!

Any one have any ideas or plans on how to make a Rotating Nozzle Design like contraption? (that has NOT been Patented!!!)

I thought YOU wanted to design this..... but now I'm confused, so like you want US to design it and then tell YOU how to build it? *scratching head*

Dude, if you just want to build something cheaply, cruise through all the DIY forums. There is a whole heapin' chitload of DIY stuff from surge devices, electronic pump controllers, those wacky "sea squirrel" thingies and crap made out of plastic lawn sprinklers.

If there is something truly unique and revolutionary to be built in the way of imitating Mother Nature and the swishy swishy of the ocean... LIKE I'M GONNA TELL YOU!? I may not be rich (yet anyway, muhahahaha) but I ain't no stoopid! :P

OH GOD! I think I just incringed upon "Dave's patented post response reflex"

ahhh, your so kind ;)

surge devises - ya great idea, but implimentation it a bit of a hasel, its unsightly, unless you just happen to have a cubard above you tank, and then you have the tolet flushing sound.. don't think this would work for me.

I'm thinking rotaing power head, or something to that effect, get a couple of micro PH's doing it and i think it would be pretty good, add a wave gen to the mix and i think you'd be set.

Not familure whith any products out there that really fit this idea, and the ones that get close are either way to expensive, or stop working a couple of weeks after you get them.

Just wanted to open up a forum on possible ideas or things people have tried... but i give up.

Anyway i'll let you guys know if i come up with any thing...

thanks,

The cheapest and most inovative way I have seen to get a sweeping pattern of water (other that buy a sweeping head? X) ) is modifying a lawn sprinkler, and they come in a variety of sweep patterns. For a pulse operation, you could build a box for about $30 or so, to time the pump motors.

I wouldn't bet the house on getting a patent, they are far from cheap or easy to attain. Do we need to go into marketing and distribution? Capital costs to get the protoypes built? Tooling costs.....The list goes on forever.....

Interesting, i hadn't really considered a sprinkler modification, supose it does have potential. So anyone though of any interesting sprinkler modifications - I'm entialy concerned with what type of sprinkler to use, how much water presure would be needed to make it work (under water), issues of corrosion (are there any fully plastic sprinklers out there), hand whether we could put something together that was small enough, not to look completely out of place in the tank.

hummm.. Just though of somehting else, what about a fan(propeller design) - something with a diameter of 3" or so, you could modify a small PH. Not sure but there's got to be some power heads out there that use DC motors - then if you switch the current on the motor it would go in referse... Make it alternate directions, put two in the tank... might work - have screen (cage them) on them to prevent the slicing and dicing.

Na i don't want a patent or anything, just didn't want to infringe on anyone elses

Yes there are fully plastic lawn sprinklers out there and they are remarkably cheap, for good reason they ARE CHEAP. But thats for a lawn sprinkler, I bet they would do fine in an aquarium. They don't need alot of water pressure to make them move but enough to over come the resistance of the water they will be in. Your powerhead will need to be able to be adapted to a garden hose sized food grade hose and use the plastic fittings that you can get at garden centers and you should be fine.

Originally posted by glazer

already been done, and um, it's spendy!

It might have been done already but it hasn't been done well if its too expensive to use. Who knows, YOU might be the one person to come up with the next breakthrough!!;)

Archived