Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

To get or not to get a 12g DX

stretch415

Well I am at a total fork in the road on what kind of tank to get. I had my heart set on a 12g DX but due to all the threads about the problems people are having Im starting to second guess myself. Weak glass is my biggest scare and people that have problems months after having them. I also have to have it shipped from Dr fosters so shipping is a scare. So What should I do? I have a healthy 7g minibow that I am going to replace with the 12g is I do it. I want to put a refugium in the back and do the skimmer mod as well as a bigger powerhead. So what should I do? I do not want a bad tank. Is there something similar in acrylic?

i would say go for the nanocube. the 12 gallon ones don't crack often it was the 24g ones that were frequent. and i think they solved the problem because i haven't heard of one very recently.

the nanocube it cool but it is hard to do a lot of mods on because of limited space. but if you got a regular aga tank it would not look as nice as the nanocube. they are nice and self contained. i do think nanocustoms is coming out with an acrylic cube but im not sure on the price or date its gonna be out.

alot of the posts I looked at were recent? I just figured it was a current problem as well as the ballasts and pumps. Unless Im totally wrong I will wait until I can get acrylic and just keep my 7minibow. But if the vast majority thinks that they are ok then I will reconsider getting one becuase they are very cool

Get an acrylic tank...Clear for Life and a used halide light...it will be a little more or even cheaper than buying a 12g with way less headaches...JBJ is no longer a reputable company in my eyes...and I would rather hang myself than buy another one of their product.

shao-lin nano

I have a 24g cube and worry about it. I really like it a lot but I, like rbaby, would not buy another JBJ product. You should know that they are only a distributor and just slap their lable on someone elses manufactured tanks. Ultimately it's your call.

Fishfreak218

i would never buy 1 thing from JBJ again..my first tank leaked in the filter part so i took it back to LFS..the second ones pump was all screwed up and the moonlights broke...IMOH dont get one

I have had my 12DX since mid June and have moved it twice since then. I will be moving again in October when our house is finished and we move for the last time. Which will be 180 mile move. With that said I have complete confidence in the strength of the 12 gallon Nano Cube, but if I had to do it all over again I would get a Oceanic 30 gallon cube with stand and get what I actually want in lights and pumps. For me I would have spent not much more for a better and larger tank which is what I want now. So if a 12 gallon is what you really want I would not hesitate in getting one but if you think you will only want to get something bigger later just do it now.

Hope that helps

Rob

I've had my 12g dx for 5 mos but within that time frame several scratches on the bend have appeared. I guess its so far so good but I really want to hear from those who's had the 12g dx longer.

Archived