Pod Your Reef

hippo tang white spot fading???

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

hippo tang problem...

Lately my hippo has had white spots that are about 10mm in diameter that are color fading on the body. after the day has gone by they go away. its not parasitic, I thought it might be nutrition related. He has been fed right, every other day seeweed on a clip soaked in selcon, also he gets formula 2 and other marine foods. He is in my reef tank, all water parimaters are fine.

is this a tang related problemo???

• 3 weeks later...

Hippo tangs are mainly planktonivores.

in the wild they swim through the water column and eat planktonic foods, copepods, zooplankton, and the like. These fish often get grouped into the common tang genera, Zebrasoma or Acanthurus species, which are highly herbivorious. the Hippo, a Paracanthurus species (the only species in the genera, actually) should be fed a diet similar to a Naso species. Note the similarities of the hippos mouth to a nasos. Not quite as 'beak like' or 'rasping like' as the herbivorious species.

I suggest giving the fish a little more variety of food along with some seaweed. (Always good to eat your greens! keeps the fish's bowels moving :D ) Also, try some Selcon or another food-source rich in omega3 fatty acids. Ocean Nutrition makes excellent frozen foods that incorporate this essential nutrient.

Good Luck

Archived