inTank Media Baskets

Should i paint the back of my new aqarim, or use a background sheet type thing ?

Djm9288

imo go sheet. i painted one of my nanos black (had always used sheet) and later on wanted to change it. X) don't get me wrong, it had looked nice enough but if your mood changes or the livestock/rock colors clash, you're stuck. just my $0.02

No, i wouldn't.

u can get the same effect with a back ground, and then as previously mentioned if you don't like it you can always change it easily. Also paint tends to chip or get scraped, and then you have an ungly looking scratch in you background thats a pain to fix.

p.s. with background, you aply it like you aply car window tint - so you don't get any bubles or anything.

Another option is to use the vinyl that they make signs out of. My local sign shop gave me enough vinyl for my 7 gal. but for a 46 you might have to pay for it. Its semi removable if need be but you won't have to worry about salt creep.

Forgive the large pic.... but I recently painted the back of my 200G using a gloss black oil based paint by Rustoleum. It was pretty easy and the oil based paint appears to come off pretty easily if scraped with a razor. I didn't want to pay the $4-5 per foot times 6 feet to get a plastic background when paint was much cheaper. The gloss black also matches perfectly to the overflows which were already black.

1082.jpg

I say paint it. I have used both methods and like the painted back ground way better. Non of the stores in my area carry the tint style so all of mine have had to be taped on which eventually water gets behind and forms an ugly cloud effect. Besides if you change your mind and don't like color you could easily scrap it off (done it a million times when I was painting). BTW, I like regular enamel paint, just add atleast two coats for good even coverage. HTH

P.S.

IMO spray paint is the easiest to apply, less streaks, runs, and brush/roller marks. (if done right)

Painted looks better in my opinion but once you're done you're stuck with it and it can scratch fairly easily.

If the tank is small, I'd buy a black or very dark blue background sheet and overlay the edges with duct tape. It needs to be sealed off from moisture otherwise you'll get salt creep underneath :(

absolutc just painted a 5.5 with spray car-paint (i forget who recommended it in the chat) and he said it came out good. maybe PM him and get him to post his experience.

Chris suggested it I think.

I like to keep my tanks 8 - 12" away from the wall if possible if I don't need to get behind it. Evaporation from the tank isnt good for your painted walls.

I've painted a few tanks and I am happy with the results. I found that an algae green is the best colour (for my taste), it has a very natural appearance.

Archived