Innovative Marine Aquariums

My tank is alife again

Keng Yew, Leong

Keng Yew, Leong

After a gruesome crash my tank is alife again.The feather duster is growing feathers again,corals are opened up.There's only a little 2 inch lobster in my tank now.Is a 18 watt and 9 watt pc in a 4 gallon nano enough for a clam.Those little clams are so pretty in the shop that I wanna get one of them.They are purple in colour.What type of clam are they.Do they tolerate low ph.My tanks pH is like around 8-8.1.Will the lobster disturb corals?

The answers to most of your questions about the clam at your LFS is "no". You don't have enough light, and clams are very sensitive to everything. Sounds like you're just now starting out in the reefing hobby, so I wouldn't do it. Clams will do better in an established tank as well, as they filter a good amount of their food.

Don't buy it yet - it wouldn't be fair to the clam.

I've been following your posts and your tank is waaay too unstable to add anything for a long time.

Yes, things are alive now. That's good. BUT it does not mean your tank is stable!

Give your tank at least a month, if not longer, before you think about adding anything. Just let it build up some stability. These things take time.

Steve

Archived