ReefCleaners.org

has anyone used the Ice Probe chiller?

paingod

I have one in a system with at least 20g of water volume, maybe 25g even. It's hard to tell with all my LR and Sand/DSB. I haven't fully tested the maximum pull down because it got too damn hot in my room. I had my heat turned up to max in the room, but it was about 85 and my tank was holding at 82 which is where I set the chiller to come on with my RK. The key to making it work well is to make sure that you have some flow going across the probe. My probe is in my return section of my sump where I have a Ehiem 1260 pump. First, I had the intake of the pump at the opposite end of the probe, then I realized that if I turned it 180 degrees and had the intake of the pump close to the probe that it would draw more water across the probe. I noticed a drastic difference in how fast the temp came down after I did that. I can feel with my hand that the water between the probe and the intake is cooler. My temp probe in my display is also in the return area from the sump to the tank. When the probe comes on, within about 1-2 minutes, the temp difference between the sump and the return section is between .2 and .3 degrees. If you read the owners manual ,http://www.coolworksinc.com/IPAC-50Manual10-28-03.pdf, it says that you will get a 3-4 degree pull down for 20 gallons. I would say that they are right on, but the key is that you MUST have flow going across the probe.

Archived