inTank Media Baskets

caulerpa live through cycle?

cjm033

i am gettn my lr for my 2.5 next week in the mail and i am getn sum caulerpa for free i just pay shipping i was wandering if the caulerpa would live through the cycle. it may be a stupid ? but i did searches and didnt find ne thing (dave) i was just wandering before i got it (dont really matter cuz its a few bucks shipping) but im just curious thanks for your help,Chris

Not a stupid question at all. I did searches as well and found nothing.

Just so happens that one month ago I got in a new shipment of live rock/sand for my refugium, and the dealer threw in some free calerpa (thanks Darren!). I didn't want to put it in my main tank, for fear of it attaching to my LR and taking over. So I decided to leave it in the murky cycle tub.

The calerpa has thrived through the cycle - didn't lose a bit of it. It didn't grow much during the first week, but in weeks two through four it thrived.

Now I'm not sure what kind of calerpa you have, but mine is grape, and the "grapes" are very small. Other forms of calerpa may act differently, but if it were me, I'd probably try it anyway.

Good luck!

You should be fine. I've cycled tanks with caulerpa on it many times and it's made it through all but once. That one time my cycle was very heavy in ammonia for some reason. Anyhow, it didn't make it there.

I believe that if any caulerpa is strong enough to survive through shipping across the world and the into your tank it will likely make it through your cycle.

Cameron

Archived