SaltCritters.com

ICA Chiller Questions

Echo

First off, I want to thank Chris at Nanocustoms for all his help on the phone so I could get my 12g DX 4.24 upgrade installed. All in all it wasn't that bad too install and the lights look great. Thanks Chris!!! I installed the ICA as well but haven't hooked it up to the pump yet, hopefully tomorrow. So here are my questions that I was hoping someone here could answer:

1. The fan that is with the chiller seems fairly loud, like a hair dryer on low (louder than the fans I used to cool halides on other tank and louder than my computer). Is this normal? Can anything be done about that?

2. Do I leave the chiller running 24/7 ?

3. I just ordered a Reefkeeper. What would be the best way to set this up with the chiller?

4. Is there such a thing as not enough flow through the chiller for it to be effective? I am using a Tunze 5024.04 powerhead that is rated at 79.2 gph, is that ok?

I have my chiller running 24/7 and the fan is louder than stock but not bad to me (i have mine in my bedroom).

You can either use the reefkeeper to turn it on/off depending on temperature or set it as always on. Mine stays always on since it's summer.

I'll probably change the schedule in a month or so when it gets cooler. My chiller is being run with a maxijet 900. It also worked fine with a minijet 404 beforehand.

~randy

Thanks for the info Randy. My main concern at this point, is the fan. If I can't get that thing quieter, I won't have to worry about pumps, etc. My tank is setup in our office but I can still hear it in our bedroom. As soon as my wife commented on the noise, I knew I had a problem. Is it possible to use a variable voltage adapter on the fan, would that help? Use a differant fan, maybe 25mm? Anyone have any suggestions, otherwise I will have to remove the chiller?

Originally posted by embryoguy

do you have two fans going in and 2 going out?

o.O? the 12NC's come stock wtih only 2 fan locations. I have the Nanocustoms upgraded hood with ica chiller and the fan on the left blows in while the fan on the right (with the ica) blows out. This configuration seems to work the best for me.

~randy

If you could somehow go with a larger fan, it might make it quieter, but I don't think a larger fan would fit in the NC hood. Smaller fans would just make it louder.

~Brian

Archived