Cultivated Reef

hob filter for foam

BRIANSTINYREEF

BRIANSTINYREEF

im buying the marineland penguin hob mini filter. i like it better over the aquaclear after poollling the board loll.. should i buy it with the bio wheel or without?

opionions welcome

with :P

for FO or FOWLR or Reef w/heavy bioload (feedings, larger fish or predator) get the bio-wheel imo. you can always remove it later if the LR/LS can handle the bioload.

Traditional Reef & Invert Reef: go without. the bio-wheel is unnecessary and will outcompete the LR/LS for filtration. which will lead to higher nitrate levels as the NH3 and NO2 processors will be mainly on the wheel versus right next to the NO3 processors in the LR/LS. (commensural relationship, actually i'm not sure if commensural's the correct term but close enuff) X)

bcguy,

actually, the bio-wheel bacteria are just more efficient rather than of higher quantity compared to the other areas due to their repetitive exposure to O2 which greatly facilitates the nitrogen cycle.

i believe clams can also process NH3 (NH4+) & NO2 because it's their symbiont algae actually doing it. don't think of using them to cycle tho. X) i don't believe they can handle that much crappie. :D

Archived