ReefCleaners.org

will this work?

Chief Brody

Okay, did some research on combining my tanks and this is what I come up with.

Right now, 20 gallon with Eclipse 2 hood, 10 gallon Sea Clear flat back hex.

10 has: 2 true percs, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 pepp. shrimp, 13lbs live rock, 32 watt Supernova

20 has: 1 bi-color, 1 banggai cardnial, 1 blue devil damsel, 1 skunk cleaner, 27lbs live rock, 32 watt Supernova

Corals: small polyp colony, 2 small shrooms (renovating house has sucked my wallet clean, so I can't afford much!)

I located a 30 gallon Sea Clear tank online, dimensions: 24" x 12" x 24" high Tall. It will fit my Eclipse hood with retrofitted Supernova.

So here's the questions.

1. Would my fish be compatible under 1 roof?

2. Would the 2 Supernovas be sufficient light for my needs at the moment? Any suggestions on better lighting configs?

3. Should I get a skimmer?

I would use bi-color or damsel to cycle new tank, seed new live sand with sand from each tank and should i take any rock from existing tanks and put them into new tank during the cycle?

you don't need to cycle with the fish. setup the 30g and start shifting over some rock from one of the setups. i say only one because of possible problems when you move LR around, things tend to get gooshed. :x plus the fact you'll still have a perfectly good running system as a backup during the transition.

i would then drop in dry sand (cheaper) and seed with some sand from the existing setup. go slow moving rock piece by piece. the fish can move over after a week or so. you shouldn't see much of a cycle if any. this is because everything you're using is either sterile or cycled already. you may see some diatoms at most (actually you WILL see diatoms but that's no biggie) and tiny spikes if that, just wait a couple of days for the LR to re-stabilize to the bioload and new water flow patterns.

repeat for 2nd tank. hint: start with the tank that you want to use its LR as the base foundation or just get more dry base rock and let it seed from the existing systems (longer).

be careful to adjust the photosynthetic livestock to their new perches in the 30g. moving from 6" to 18" away from the light source or vice versa WILL be traumatic. otherwise the lights should be fine imo. the bi-color should still rule the pack as it just needs to subjugate the two clowns (or at least just the alpha female). get a skimmer, it can't hurt imo. later on you can send it to me if you don't want it. :P

Thanks for the info Tinyreef! I think this will work out very well for me. As for my lighting, 64 watts of Power compacts is all I can afford. What do you suggest to improve my light at the new depth? I'd like to keep soft corals, leathers, more polyps, etc. eventually.

I'll look into that skimmer too....what's you mailing address just in case?!!:D

imo the 2x32w is ok right now. you're talking about low light corals. sarco elgans and s. ehrengi (sp?) are more light intensive i've found. vho or 55w pc (for that size) or mh's, of course. but that's going all out.

stay with the 32w's and if you notice your corals or inverts getting noticeably darker then i would think about upgrading to higher wattages or more bulbs. not really necessary tho imo unless they show true deterioration, which is unlikely since you've had them under the same lights already. hth ;)

update on upgrading nano thoughts:

If I decide to stay with just the 20gl ($$ and space are an issue), please stay with me on this one.....and combine everything from the 10gl into the 20...add a skimmer.....can I get away with it?

10g has: 2 true percs, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 pepp. shrimp, 13lbs live rock, 32 watt Supernova

20g has: 1 bi-color, 1 banggai cardnial, 1 blue devil damsel, 1 skunk cleaner, 27lbs live rock, 32 watt Supernova

So.....the 20g would have 37lbs of rock, 2x32w PC, 2 skunk cleaners, 1 pepp shrimp, 2 true perc clowns, 1 blue damsel, 1 banggai cardinal and 1 bi-color, asst. crabs, snails, shrooms and polyps. I would pick up a skimmer too. Thinking about the Prizm.

Whew...no room at the Inn. What am I crazy??

Right now, I do weekly wc's of 20% on both tanks, I would keep up the WC's on the one 20g tank. I have researched this possible setup and have come up wiht conflciting advice, books I have read said it can be done, online sources say I am nuts for even thinking about it. Some say 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons, others say 1 inch per 5 gallons....some say 2 skunk cleaners will live happily. Some say they won't.

what do you think, can it work? I appreciate the advice.

Chris...sorry, bi-color pseudochromis

As for the 29 gl, you're probably right about the extra room, I was just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I am considering trading the bi-color and the damsel (if I could catch the little buggers!) which would lighten my load.

The 29 would be great, I'd just have to add a DIY hood....my wife likes the clean lines and look of the Eclipse and I didn't want to waste the extra dough on another tank if I could get away with the 20.

Archived