Top Shelf Aquatics

What is this hermit? From NJ Shore?

Jpl3k

Hey all,

I got some LS from the LFS and this hermit must have been hiding in there.

The next time I went back I asked the girl there and pointed out the identical hermits in one of the tanks and she said it was just some crabs they got in from the New Jersey Shore. Can anyone identify this guy?

He is in a 1/2" shell, has two long antennas, and has a desert-camoflauge color scheme/pattern. I think one claw is larger than the other, the right may be the bigger one. He moves around very fast, and if startled, will drop and sink into his shell. He was in a smaller shell (in these pics), but a day after I dropped in a larger one, he took that. (I don't have a pic of him in the new shell, but its only a little bigger. The new shell is 1/2".)

He likes to climb the LR (jumps around) and the corner sealant.

When I drop in food he goes nuts, too.

I haven't seen him do anything to make me worry, and all frags are fine, but one time he got on the nassarius snail's back and hung on like a rodeo rider. LOL! The snail went crazy trying to get him off, and eventually did so. (See picture).

What do you think? Should I be worried?

Here's the best pics I had combined:

00UnknownHermitfromNJShore.jpg

Thanks!

-Jonathan

I'd take him out. All crabs, with VERY few exceptions, will cause trouble. Scarlet hermits are the only ones I trust--I don't trust bluelegs, "red-tips", greenlegs, nor weird whitish ones like this. JMO

Really? Not even blue or red legs?

Hmm.. Okay, well for now I'm just gonna keep an eye on him and everything else as usual, but thanks for the input.

-J

There are many hermits that are worse than bluelegs and redlegs, like the greenlegs. Also, I've had whitish ones like that wreak havoc, too.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i was at the lfs here in london ontario. they had the scarlett hermits, some blue and red legs, and a couple that look very similar to yours. green brown camo. i doubt any of the crabs here in london came from the ny shoreline.

could it be your lfs is incorrect about its homeland?

I think its possible, she could be wrong. She's not always accurate about everything, and I get the feeling if she doesn't know an answer she'll make one up to 'help' you make your mind up. (I really hope she's not on these forums!) EEK! What really stinks though, is how much she'll charge for frags. I could buy 10 small frags (really small) from her for $30-35, or get the same for $15 from the other guy. I HATE that! Everybody makes up their own prices. Although, the one guy there gives GREAT deals. I'm trying to figure out exactly when he's on schedule.

I'll wait for one of the other guys or girls when she's not around.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Archived