Cultivated Reef

Ballast problem?

halfpint

Yesterday my light in my 12G (non-delux) went out. i was wondering if anyone has had their non-delux ballast go out on them. i would hate to order a new bulb, wait two days for it to come in, and find that my ballast is blown. also, does anyone know where i could get a ballast that supports 2 or 3 24Watt PC bulbs? if i go to upgrade my tank, i want to go all out.

In my experience I've found that the ballasts tend to go bad fairly frequently. I've found a cheap and fairly easy replacement if you're handy. Check out this thread. I used the ballast from a screw-in compact flourescent bulb. These ballast are very small and can be found for just a few bucks. You could easily wire up a couple of these ballasts to fire multiple bulbs.

thanks. I went to Wal*Mart and got a three pack of 26 watt bulbs so i will have a replcement ballast on hand if mine is, in fact blown.

Not to be self-promotional, but we sell ballasts and upgrade kits at nanocustoms. You can at least take a look and see if anything there would fit your application. If not, there are other options to look at.

Nickeleye, I bought the replacement bulb from nanotuners and am waiting on its arrival. I believe that nanocustoms.com and nanotuners have great options. i, however, do not have alot of money all the time. that is why i was looking for a cheaper alternative. if i ever get the money to upgrade my tank the right way, i can tell you that nanocustoms.com and nanotuners would be the first and only place i would turn to. nanocustoms.com and nanotuners have very reasonable prices and I trust them to deliver a reliable product.

Archived