Pod Your Reef

New Nano-What would you do?

jt48

I am considering setting up a nano with equipment that I have obtained over the years. I have the standard pine stand with 20x10 base. I have 3 empty 10's lwh (20x10x12) and a 15 high (20x10x18). Do you think I should use the 15 high which is 6"taller. I figure I would use a 6" DSB and still have more space for water and corals. Or is a DSB not really beneficial in a nano?

setting up a 15H right now (bias). actually i almost wish i went with the 20XH. i like the aquascaping that can be done with the greater vertical room.

the 10g are nice but your visual presentation is curbed a bit as i found with my 5g. nothing wrong with it, i just didn't like the 'short look'. it pre-determined the size of the rock and size of coral that could be placed and grown.

well, I'm alittle biased, as I already have a 20 high, and I am in love with it. It gives you plenty of space, you can use whatever rock, and let's you place corals where they need to be placed.

Brandon

I would say it depends on what light you want to go with, I think a 6 inch deep sand bed is a bit much, but if you aren't using fine sand then it isn't such a big deal. I would use fine sand and keep the depth to 4 inches. Lots of live rock, build a PVC base that will allow the LR to rest on so it doesn't impact the sand base or tumble when things dig under it.

I am going to re design my 20 and thats how I will do it, I will use a 20 gallon refugium though and keep my DSB in there. I will use the PVC base for the LR and I will drill holes in it and run a PH through it so water is being circulated under the rock as well as around it.

I have a 20XH and I love it, my sand bed is 6 inches deep and I had a great time playing with the rockwork. I also like the fact that I have spots for high light, mid light, and low light corals.

Archived