Coral Vue Hydros

neon lighting

duganator

hey first post, 12dx up and running for 7 months. I have installed a Optx Ultra mini neon stick under the the lens to the reflector. These are the 12 volt automotive style.I cut the cigarette plug off and wired up an old phone charger. I used double sided tape to stick it to the reflector and its under the lens so it cant hit the water if it falls off. I bought the blue color for the moonglow but they come in red and green also . I love the look but and a newbie. Any idea if the neon can hurt the corals . I only use it to look in on my tank for short periods at night but was wondering about using this concept for a fuge light. oh well thaks for listening

I know many people using the Car Neons for moonlights. I was thinking about trynig it on my 29gal. Do you mind telling me how you re-wired the end once you cut the cig. lighter plug off? As far as the neon light hurting your corals I don't think it will, but it won't promote any spawning.

I've got 2 of the CCFL lights mounted on my 24g DX. I have them come on before my main lights and go off after the mains. I am running them at 7.5vdc so they don't have full brightness. The corals fluoresce nicely. I have LEDs for the moonlights. This pic was taken with the lights at 12vdc for the pic.

CCFL_Moonlights.jpg

Archived