Cultivated Reef

frogfish in a 7 gallon bowfront?

nanoman10

I'm foreseeing a frog in a nano, hehe

There are the dwarf frogs and the regular ones.... Frogfish can get to the size of softball. The dwarf ones I think max out about 3 to 4 inches. Frogs are kinda spendy... I don't think I've seen one at an LFS less than 75 bucks. They are very sedentary so don't expect it to be cruising all over the tank. They can swallow anything slightly bigger/the same size/and of course smaller than themselves... any "nano-sized" tankmate is in peril. Most LFS's (well ones I have seen) feed the frogs guppies and other small assorted feeder freshies as they know they are not keeping the fish longterm.... this IS NOT good though. I would definitely ask to see the fish eat at the store... eating FROZEN foods. In my opinion the only way to have good longterm success with the fish.

(on a side-note, I have had LFS's say to me, "oh, he has already been fed so he won't/that's why he is not eating".... YOU SAY, "okay, what time is feeding time, I will just come back." ) ;)

Hmmm, well... in the words of F.G. "....and that's all I got to say about that."

Glazer, have you ever tried feeding mollies? I know they can be kept in a marine tank and I was thinking of putting a few in a small tank and using the baby mollies for food for some of the corals and hairy mushrooms. I assume that because they would be living in salt water they would be more nutritious than guppies/feeder comets. Does that sound reasonable or am I missing something?

I don't think mollies or even guppies are THAT bad, but definitely NOT comets/goldfish.... be like eating a dozen eggs and a pound a back bacon mornin', noon and nite me thinks.... how long before you have problems?...lol If you feed them live food they tend to get real picky about accepting anything else

I've kept frogs, lions and eels in the past and my personal opinion is that the best thing to do is get them on frozen food... chopped up shrimp/krill/clams and such. You can supplement these foods with vitamins/garlic as well much easier. If you make too much of a point a feeding "live" food they don't have much interest in other food sources and you can't really be assured of them getting the proper nutrition. My other thoughts are that people tend to overfeed these types of fish. I mean they are not big "cruisers/hunters/chasers" they tend to just hang out waiting for the food so as such dont have the energy demand and high metabolisms of more active fish.... kinda liken them to reptiles,well in a way.... I've done real well in the past just feeding them once, well maybe twice a week if they have been really good or it's like their birthday or something....lol

OH, and btw, I think yer corals/anenome/shrooms would luv luv luv a tasty little treat by the way.... I mean if you dont mind throwin' those HELPLESS TINY LITTLE BABIES to the wolves.... had to say that because of the wife.... she has real issues with the "live" thing. I could only go about such dastardly undertakings when she was no where in sight lest I be hit with the " oh god.... that is SOOOOO mean! *sniff sniff* pooooooor little fishie." Soooo be 'ware yer woman and operate by stealth...hehe

Archived