ReefCleaners.org

Questions on upgrade to a 70w HQI NC

ebzhighestbidder

ebzhighestbidder

Hello all, i just got an 70w hqi kit and i'm planning to install it on my 24g NC. I saw a few here and there that had it around the forums, and before i get into it i wanted to ask a few questions. I know that the hqi will generate a lot of heat, Has anyone melted their hood attemping this? If so any pointers on what not to do? I will wire up some fans around the slots in the hood. Has anyone had to drill holes on the hood that you could see from the outside? Lets just say i screw up my lid, would anyone know where to get a spare stock lid? I would really appreciate you guys giving me pointers so i dont screw up. Im really not concerned about water temperature issue tho as of right now, only on the actual hood. I would really appreciate it if you guys would help me out on this one.

PS: Sorry for double posting on reefcentral, just trying to get as much info as i can

shao-lin nano

Make sure you replace the portion of the splash guard under the MH with a pane of glass. I cut out a rectangle a little smaller than 8X10 inches and placed a 8X10 inch peice of glass form Home Depot secured by epoxy over the hole.

I also cut out a rectangle in the center of the hood and placed a fan cover over it...since hot air rises I chose the middle and the highest point I could to put this extra vent.

extra vent:

13594newvent.jpg

Haven't had problems with temp damaging or melting the hood. I used 80mm fans under the side vents.

Ditto on what Shao says. I burnt a hole in my plastic splash guard the first test, but after mounting in a deeper portion of the hood, it was okay. I was going to cut out the hole and replace with a piece of glass exactly how Shao did with his. Much safer. The other looked like a fire hazard.

I also installed blower fans and hot glued them on each side of the MH to blow out the hotest air through the side vents. They work very well. I replaced the two stock fans with much higher rated fans as well. I drilled holes in the back of the hood for more air intake, but I like Shao's vent much better.

DKreefkeepers

what other lights are you going to run with the MH..? 70w of metal halide wont be enough to do much in a 24g cube. I have been toying with the idea of running dual 70w supplimented with actinics. Dont know how well it would work though....

and yes shao lin where did you get that vent....?

shao-lin nano

The vent came from a cover that covered fans that goes into the bay for like cd/dvd drives. I just took one off some fans that I bought used from artarmon a few months back. Don't know if you guys have a Fry's electronics where you guys are at but they have lots of fans and accessories for PCs that you can use.

Here's one on ebay in white, mine is the same just black:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-FAN-HARD-DRIVE-BAY-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

just look up "bay drive fans" in the search field of ebay.

HTH

shao-lin nano

And I also snipped off the little tabs on the back to make the bottom flat and sanded down the corners to make them rounded. The I sanded the bottom and a little bit of the hood so the glue and hold better.

DKreefkeepers

good deal, I think that a dual 70w MH setup with actinics would be slick as a mofo! I want to do it I just need to get a game plan and some funding. That vent will help a ton I bet.

DKreefkeepers

One word, COVERAGE if I have 2 on the outsides near the edges of the hood I can cover alot more area of the tank with useful light.

shao-lin nano

Just to let you know....If you plan on using the same MH retro that I have, you won't be able to fit 80mm fans on the side vents and 2 MH retros in one straight line. MH will have to be mounted a little forward or back, but even then it'll probably be a tight fit. Also the MH would then not be located in the "highest" point under the hood, be sure to replace the plastic of the stock splash guard with glass or some othe form of clear protective covering that's resistant to high temps.

Maybe if you turn them 90 degrees from the way I oriented them...I'm interested in how you figure to configure your setup.

Archived