inTank Media Baskets

Polyp ID

Sean_Buckley

Sean_Buckley

On a piece of LR I got a couple of weeks ago, I recently noticed about 4 small polyps in a group. 3 are in a line in the rock, and the other, largest one is a little further up than the others. I gently poked one yesterday with a turkey baster, and all 3 of the ones in a line slowly closed, and then opened again after a few minutes. They are white, sort of grainy, almost like a bunch of sand grains clustered together. They are round, and have little things coming out their side, sorta like the skirt on a zooanthid. They also have a small little tube coming out the middle of the disk, about as long as the skirts (about a 1/4 mm or so). The largest polyp is about 2 mm, the 2 medium ones are about 1.5 mm, and the smallest is about 1 mm. I noticed that the 3 larger ones had tentacles out today, about as long as they are wide, so I thawed out a cube of daphnia and let it go near them so the current blew the daphnia into the polyps. All the ones that had the tentacles out grabbed a piece of daphnia and slowly closed around it. What the hell are these things? Sorry, can't get a pic, thats why I have a fairly detailed description of them.

Sean

Sean_Buckley

Nope, don't look at all like that. The 'skirt' sticks out like a zoa skirt, and they are straighter. Also, if anyone has ever seen a blue-bell flower, it looks sort of like that in the shape (with the stalk in the middle, a depression, and then the skirt...)Damn, I can't really desribe it, I'll try to find a pic of what I mean. O, and the 3 that are in a line seem to be on a 'stick' is the best I can desribe it as. It looks like an inch long acropora branch? The 3 wouldn't be polyps from an acro frag, would they?

Sean

EDIT: http://www.eyestorm.com/images/medium/mwork9696.jpg The link is what the polyps look like, only white, with the 'mouth' facing up, not quite as deep, and with a short skirt of 'tentacles' around it, like the skirt on a zoa. See my first post for a more detailed desription of the whole thing.

Palythoa/protopalythoa? LOTS of polyps, anemones, etc. look like that, so who knows. Look up the palys, though.

Sean_Buckley

I looked up the Palythoa, and they don't really look like that. O well, I'll just leave 'em alone, try and ID them when they get a little bit bigger.

Sean

Sean_Buckley

AH HA! I found a pic of a Digitata that has polyps that look almost EXACTLY like these polyps, save for the colour. Mine are white, and have like a little 'bump' in the center. Heres the link to the pic of it:Digitata

Sean_Buckley

Nope, thats what I thought too, but they don't have a long base like that. I mean, the branch is laying flat along the LR, and these polyps look like they are attached to it, with very little, or no, stalk before the mouths. If that made sense?

Sean

Sean_Buckley

Sweet! But do the polyps send out short little transparent tentacles coming out of the centre of the polyps? Sorta like short sweepers, but coming fairly straight up? They only put these out for a while each day, which is usually when I feed them a few pieces of thawed, frozen daphnia.

Sean

EDIT: The tentacles look like short little white hairs, standing fairly straight up. Also, these polyps seem to close up fairly often, and then open again, do montipora's do this?

Sean_Buckley

I'll see if I can borrow my cousins camera and upload them onto their computer, we've got a camera, but it sucks. No zoom or anything, I hate it.

Sean

Reef_Mad_Man

I will say either cup coral or a few sparse polyps of galaxia?

You realy need to post a pic of it.

It will be impossible to identify other wise.

Yeah, size of polyps? Color? Your description is so vague and confusing. I can't even tell whether they're SPS, LPS, or some "misc" polyp species.

Sean_Buckley

I gave the size and color in my very first post, but I'm gonna try to borrow a camera, I just got 8 pounds of live rock today, and, surprise, there's some stuff I need ID'd, lol.

Sean

Archived