Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Moonlight Fell Into the Water.. Now What?

FireFish21

I purchased the R2 Solution Moonlight and attached it in the front of the splashguard. Well, it fell off and into the water! Now, the metal(where i hook the cord up to the moonlight)looks a little corroded or something, Not to mention a huge brown spot inside the tube where it looks burnt. Is there anything I can do about this?

:*(

I'd say clean it up, take all the corroded stuff off and open the tube if you can to clean inside. But my guess is something blew. Does is still work?

I had my own mishap months ago. My automatic feeder fell into my tank while I was gone for a week, and when I came back the batteries corroded and my fish were almost dead. But...it's all better now!

Had the exact same thing happen to me. My wife had some friends over and their children were playing with my tank. They pulled the moonlight loose and it ended up in the water. I cleaned it up but I could only get two of the five LEDS to work again. The LEDS around the burnt looking area of the tube never worked again. I ordered a new unit and I put some double sided tape behind the sides to keep the LED tube locked in the clips. I also put a lock on my office door to keep future uninvited visitors away from my tank!

The easist solution to this problem is to mount it inside the hood under the splash guard. Use the double sticky pads that come with the light and stick it to the front edge of the inside of the hood (closest to the feeding door). There should be more than enough room to do this in a stock tank and even if you have a modded hood with additional lighting there is normally enough room. Then just cut a small slit in the rear wall of the hood for the wire to come out the backside of the hood and put the wire through one of those rubber grommets. Problem solved.

At first I tried mounting my R2 moonlights under the splash guard. I was worried because the plastic mounting brackets were slightly touching the bulbs. Is that a problem? I didnt know how hot those bulbs get and was afraid of melting the plastic.

You'll be fine if they touch. I never had a problem with the brackets melting or anything after day after day of the bulb touching the moonlight mounting brackets.

Archived