ReefCleaners.org

Where do you get your water?

jtown

I'm darn sick of going to the fish store every other week to get a 5 gallon bucket of RO water. Where do you guys get your water from? Any smaller RO/DI units out there around $100?

I started getting my water from those Glacier machines in the supermarkets. But if you’re looking for a cheap RO/DI you should look in the classified forums, I’ve seen some cheap used RO/DI there.

look in your yellow pages for a local bottled water company. they can deliver distilled or ro water. probably at the same price of you picking up from the lfs. ro/di is rarely to find from the water companies for some reason ime (cost probably).

eBay or classifieds as caesar notes are good options too.

anyone know what RO unit is good to purchase?

for some reason I don't like the idea of buying a used RO unit because you will most likely have to replace the cartridges soon bringing the cost of the used unit over the cost of a new one. ... eh ... did that make sense? haha.

No Glacier machines by me... I just buy Great Bear Purified Drinking water (It states purified by Reverse Osmosis on the lable). There are many brands you can buy by the gallon as being purified drinking water just read the lable to make sure it says "Purified by Reverse Osmosis" on it. Ot you can go with distilled or however you spell it. People once worried about companies using copper for the process and I have read lately on many boards that this is no longer the case. Most manufacturers no longer use the copper pipes or containers. So Distilled may be a better route. Unles of course you buy a RO/DI unit with a new filter, which would be tyhe best bet.

Originally posted by tinyreef

Ro/di is rarely to find from the water companies for some reason ime (cost probably).

People tend to think that RO/DI is the same as RO and start drinking it. How they can stomach that bitter taste I don't know.

Ro/di is rarely to find from the water companies for some reason ime (cost probably).

i just noticed my grammar there. X) typing faster (slower) than my brain allows.

i thought the 'taste' is from all the dissolved whatchamacallits and are actually 'not as good' for drinking. ??? (i.e. i'd rather get my calcium from milk or iron from vegetables) i dunno.

ic ... so can any of you guys recommend a ro/DI unit for my home? I think the smallest possible will work. I noticed on pet solutions they have a bare bone system ....

http://petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m...024.140000&l=37

or do I have to go with something like this one that is 1.5x more?

http://petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m...024.100000&l=37

any input would help me out a lot.

Originally posted by jtown

Where do you guys get your water from?

I'm lucky enough to live in San Diego. I get my fresh salt water straight from the ocean at Scripps Aquarium. When I first started reef keeping, I used an RO/DI kit my parents had and mixed my own salt water. I now get my fresh water from a local water store.

Archived