SaltCritters.com

I am "The Lord Of The Ric's" LOL!!!

Reef_Mad_Man

Reef_Mad_Man

I should change my username to "The Lord Of the Rics" HAHA!! I think I have around 250 now?

Here are a few pics of my ric prop tank and some up close shots of the grow out rics, with one pic of some adults in my 29g under halides.

All pics are with flash and do not do these ric's justice at all!!

(THey are much much much brighter in person. The only way my crappy camera willfocus now is with the damn flash on!!)

Dsc05123.jpg

Dsc05117.jpg

Dsc05118.jpg

Dsc05112.jpg

Dsc05061.jpg

Reef_Mad_Man

AHHH a master of the obvious graces us with his presence ladies and gentlemen! LOL!! (J O K E!)

I still think 250 rics qualifies me as self proclaimed "Lord Of The Ric's"! BWAHAHAaaa!!

May have some for sale in the future. Most are all ready spoken for that I have for sale at the moment.

I supply two local LFS with rics and polyps. I frag them up , grow them out , sell them out right and trade for what I need to keep my hobby going.

two weeks from now maybe.....

I have one like yours in pictures 7 & 9... I got it free when i bought some little mushroom frags. Does it need lots of lighting? Can't get it to sit anywhere other than the sand without getting moved around. Need to try to get it to attach to a bit of Live-Rock..

Ben

Reef_Mad_Man

YES. Those are Yuma species ricordea. The green and pink yumas need high lighting, the hot orange Yumas in pic number 9 are actualy dwarf yuma species which also require high lighting.

To get them to attatch shouldnt be a problem at all. Yumas will grab on to anything to anchor themselves down. Try sitting them on a small patch of live rock rubble in a low current area for a week.

If that dosent work then try placing a plastic bowl in the aquarium with live rock rubble in it and then the yumas on the rock ruble insid ethe container in medium flow.

Yumas will actualy atatch faster than a florida secies ricordea.

Perhaps, O Lord, you would share your great wealth of knowledge with but us peasants the proliferation and profligation of said Ricordea - or in plain english - would you explain how you get your rics to spread and multiply? I have 2 - an orange and a blue/green - but they just keep getting bigger. I would like for them to split or shoot out some babies or anything!! What would you suggest?

PS. They are under medium flow and 70w hqi lighting, 10g tank.

Reef_Mad_Man

I have an addiction to all things salt water. LOL!!

The rics and polyps just pay for my reef related bills, IE electric, supplies, hardware.

They make GREAT trading chips for hard to find corals too! LOL!!

The only way you will get "SOME" spiecies of florida ricordea to propogate in "HOME AQUARIA" is to use the old stainless steel scissors and cut it in half between mouths.

Pretty much all of my ricordea I propogate this way though.

I would NOT RECOMEND TRYING THIS METHOD IN A TANK SET UP FOR LESS THAN A YEAR THOUGH!

The tank must be matured.

Then you place the cut peices on live rock rubble. Let them atatch in a low flow area. And VIOLA!!

Baby rics to grow out!

Reef_Mad_Man

Yup. For the money and effort it takes to raise and propogate ricordeas, Yumas arent worth it. You never get your time and money back out of them unless you lie your arse off and call them "RARE".

I dont do that. There are no such things as rare corals. Only unique coral. Once you have a unique coral I feel it is your responsebility to learn as much as you can about that specimen and propogate it to ensure its survival in the aquarium trade so that the reef isnt raped for them.

Most do not do this. They slap a high dollar name on it and sell them until the patch they found is gone from the ocean floor ( IE ricordeas.net) oops! did I say that? LOL!!

It kills me to see someone selling a red or pink yuma for 100's of dollars each instead of propogating them.

They realy arent that rare at all or unique. Some one just started a fad and jacked the market up.

Same as for blue , orange, and yellow ricordea, they are not rare AT ALL. But again people portrey them as rare finds and viola a new fad has spawned.

Look at the acanthastrea Lordehowensis craze. Or Micromussa craze.

NIETHER OF THOSE CORALS ARE BY ANY MEANS RARE AT ALL!!

If they were realy that rare ebay would not constantly keep gettting flooded with them would it?

Reef_Mad_Man

Thank you but nothing is ever cut and dried with propogation of any coral spiecies.

It is all about trial and error, learning from your mistakes, and RESEARCHING THE SPIECIES YOU WANT TO PROPOGATE THOROUGHLY!

;)

Well i have very low lighting in my tank by most of your standards, just normal T5s. I have the green "yuma". It seems to be doing ok, opens up nicely in the day then recedes at night...

Will try and get a pic if i get the chance..

Ben

What happned? A crane fall on your head and knock you silly?

OR

A crane fall on your head and they paid you too much comp. ?

You are as always...."OUT OF CONTROL" I am still trying to get my jaw off the floor, after seeing those RIC pics.

DAMN!

Reef_Mad_Man

LOL!!!! I told you fools I could get my hands on some shiat on the "other board" but reef talk is banned there so.... LOL!!!

Nah No crane son the head just ha dto make another "trip".

Back for good now though.

Good to see you Dickie! Good to see anything but sand and towels nowa days! LOL!!

If they were realy that rare ebay would not constantly keep gettting flooded with them would it?

Exactly!!

Archived