Cultivated Reef

More seahorse pics (Found MORE hiding!!)

Reef_Mad_Man

Reef_Mad_Man

Well, I found 3 more hiding in the macro algae! LOL!!

Babies though. Probably why I couldnt see them to well! They are less than 1/4" long! LOL!

Here they are! One of the babies is circled in red.

In another pic the pipe fish, an adult dwarf and the baby are all circled in red.

Also, there is a picture of thier new 5.5g home.

Dsc05127.jpg

Dsc05103.jpg

Dsc05104.jpg

Dsc05105.jpg

Dsc05108.jpg

Dsc05109.jpg

Dsc05111.jpg

Dsc05101.jpg

Dsc05102.jpg

Reef_Mad_Man

Only the truest of fools would keep real corals and dwarf seahorses in the same tank. They eat dwarf seahorses. LOL!

I highly sugest to anyone who is interested in keepig dwarf seahorses, or any specie sof seahorse for that matter to READ UP ON THEM IN A BIG BIG WAY before buying them.

They require expert care and daily feedings. EXCELLENT water quality, and they will only eat newly hatched brine shrimp or baby rotifiers.

If you try to feed a dwarf spiecies seashorse anything else it wont eat and starve to death FAST.

If you keep corals in with dwarf seahorses, such as, brains, scylemia, Hammers, galaxea, yellow polyps ( Parazoanthus sp.), torch coral, pretty much any coral but gorgonians and they will surely try thier best to eat them.

Yep they are small! LOL! they only get to around 1 1/2" to 2" MAX in thier entire life span. They reach total maturity in 6 weeks too.

Imeadiately after birth from the males pouch seahorses are totaly independant as well. Meaning they do not have to be shown what to eat, what to stay away from, where to hide.. blah blah blah....

Scientists have been trying to figure out how they obtain this "instinctual" trate for decades.

They are one of the most mystical and yet mysterious creatures in the seven seas.

Even with other spiecies of picies and mamalian, thier is still a certain amount of parenting before they strike it out on thier own.

At the very least most spiecies of picies or mamalian will stickaround on thier own and whatch what thier parents do for food and shelter before heading out on thier own.

dare i say it... fake corals are better than a fake coral background? :P

How about mushrooms or star polyps? surely small polyps won't try to eat seahorses? I may be completly wrong, just throwing up ideas..

Ben

Reef_Mad_Man

Fake coral, dead coral are all algae magnets!

Coral of any kind could possibly sting and EAT the seahorses. Also strar poylps, mushroom corals and the like need high lighting, strong current ect ect....

ALL ARE BAD THINGS FOR DWARF SEAHORSES.

Just give up..... or do some research on them. Like I said I have been keeping them since the 70's I think I know what I am doing by now.

LOL!!!!

not planning on getting any at all, my tank isnt suitable. Just interesting that they are really that small to get consumed, when not even tiny gobies etc. dont?

Ben

Reef_Mad_Man

Holly Grap, Batman! I can't believe you are keeping dwarf horses....

Let me know when you have had your fill of hatching brine shrimp...LOL I have been keeping them for years.

Reef_Mad_Man

Me too ! LOL!! Now when I get tired of hatching I go to the fish hatchery and buy 'em ! LOL!!

I have been keeping them since the 70's LOL!!

Originally posted by Reef_Mad_Man

I have been keeping them since the 70's LOL!!

NOOB....

I have been keeping them since the 60's....

Reef_Mad_Man

Quote:

"not planning on getting any at all, my tank isnt suitable. Just interesting that they are really that small to get consumed, when not even tiny gobies etc. dont?

Ben"

A GOby is MUCH MUCH MUCH FASTER than a dwarf seahorse is with a bottle rocket up its hiney.

No go read a book on 'em homie.

Sounds like your doubting they cant be kept with coral so read up on it :)

Yeah, PLEASE don't keep seahorses with corals, else you'll end up unable to find your horsies anywhere and simulateously suspiciously-happy-looking corals...

Archived